White/gray marks on danios

jro987

Tank: 20G Long, Ammonia: 0ppm, NitrItes: 0ppm, NitrAtes: 10ppm , pH: 7.4, Temp: 73F

Hello all and thanks in advance. I have 5 zebra danios in a 20 gallon long tank. They're the only fish in the tank. The tank has been set up for about 2.5 months and the danios have been in for about 7-8 weeks. I put 2 new plants in the tank about a week ago.

2 days ago I noticed that one of my zebra danios had a few discolored spots/marks on its back. The marks are relatively small and don't look raised or cottony. They are all oval shaped and seem to be too large to be Ich. The danio had 3 marks on one side and 2 on the other. All of them are in front of the dorsal fin.

Yesterday, I noticed another danio has the same discolored marks in the same general area. 2 on each side.

Today, I noticed a third danio with what looks to be another one of these discolored marks (on 1 side only).

All 5 danios are eating. The smallest danio seems to be keeping to itself more often than usual lately, but this one doesn't have any of the marks. The first danio with marks now has 4 on one side and 2 on the other. The marks don't seem to be getting any bigger, just one new one appeared yesterday. The second danio still only has 2 on each side and they don't seem to have gotten any bigger.

I've attached 2 photos but it's really hard to get shots of these guys. They're just too fast! Does anyone know what this could be? I'd like to start treating it asap. Thanks again!

image.png

image.png

TexasDomer

I don't know what they are, but mine developed them too when I had them. They don't seem to bother or affect them in any way, and mine never got worse.

jro987

Thanks TexasDomer! The marks on your danios were in the same general area? Did all of your danios eventually get these marks?

TexasDomer

Thanks TexasDomer! The marks on your danios were in the same general area? Did all of your danios eventually get these marks?
They did, and yes, they were in the same are. Whitish/grayish areas from the top of their head to their dorsal fins. Not sure if it has anything to do with age? Mine were older when they developed it, and all but one have passed away.

jro987

They did, and yes, they were in the same are. Whitish/grayish areas from the top of their head to their dorsal fins. Not sure if it has anything to do with age? Mine were older when they developed it, and all but one have passed away.

So you think it's nothing to worry about then? All 5 are still active today and ate plenty this afternoon. I'm asking because I plan on adding 3 more danios to the tank.

I'm not sure about the age thing. My females are about 2" long and the male in the picture is about 1.75". They've grown quite a bit since I bought them so I'd think they're pretty young still.

TexasDomer

So you think it's nothing to worry about then? All 5 are still active today and ate plenty this afternoon. I'm asking because I plan on adding 3 more danios to the tank.

I'm not sure about the age thing. My females are about 2" long and the male in the picture is about 1.75". They've grown quite a bit since I bought them so I'd think they're pretty young still.

If they're acting normally otherwise, I would leave them alone. I wouldn't worry either. If it is something, you don't want to treat without knowing what it is and how you should treat, so there's not much you can do now anyway besides keeping up a good water change schedule.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sarah1230ox
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Red marks on Danio?
Replies
Views
Shade89