White Goo Coming From Snail?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by grumpygills, Apr 14, 2017.

1. grumpygills

grumpygills New Member Member

I just recently treated my tank for Columnaris earlier this week (my Gourami's sores healed right up and the white growth went away!) with APIs medication Furan-2. Now at first search, we didn't know that the medication could not be used in the tank if invertebrates were present, so for the first day of medication the snails were in the 10 gallon tank (two mysteries and two nerites). Once we did more research we got really nervous and removed the snails from the tank into a quarantine container for a few days. The smallest of the snails didn't make it but the other three seemed to recover. Once the treatments were over we places the snails back in the tank, but one of the snails seems to have a white-ish goo following him. Is that the columnaris we just treated the tank for making it's way back into the tank from the untreated snails? Or is it just something snails do?

17918803_1455587921149831_320062079_n.jpg 17909417_1455587917816498_31827348_n.jpg

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

I do believe you have little to worry about. Snail do leave slime trails/are sliders and it can coagulate and ball up in the tank. I've heard it happens more if your snail is using their "strong foot". Unless you think it's happening way more than normal (indicating something actually bothering them), it should be okay :)

Hope this helps and best of luck.

3. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Did you remove the meds before putting the snails back in the tank?

Some medications can be very hard on invertebrates.

4. OP
    OP
    grumpygills

grumpygills New Member Member

Yes, we did a very large water change after the dosing was complete before we put them back in but there still might be some still left over. Do you think that is stressing them?

5. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

If you put carbon back in the filter then the meds should have been filtered out. I know with invertebrates you need to avoid meds with copper in them. Invertebrates shouldn't be in a tank with copper. So, if there still is medication in the water then the left over medication could be stressing out the snail

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice