White Fuzzy Stuff On Tank Decorations

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by acastillo15, Aug 3, 2019.

1. acastillo15

acastillo15New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I am a semi new fish keep owner who is trying a second time to have fish after a horrible first experience. I am about three and a half weeks into my cycle and I am just starting to notice this fuzzy stuff on my tank decorations. It appears to be on all of my decorations but this picture is of the object with the largest amount. I tried figuring out what it was off of other threads, but I just wanted another opinion on my case. Most threads pointed to fungi. All comments are greatly appreciated

Here are my tank readings:
    Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite:1.0 ppm
    Nitrate: 10 ppm

To cycle, I put in Dr. Tim's Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution and Dr. Tim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria.

Attached Files:

2. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    Don't know for sure, it might be one of three things I can think of at least:
    Fungus, like the others said
    White algae
    Bacteria colonies
    Hopefully someone who has dealth with this before can give you more info. If I were you, I'd google all three and see what solutions you can find.

3. I see fire.

I see fire.Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    It kinda looks like what I was dealing with when I had the Spongebob decor. I was told it was Cyanobacteria. However, from the distance of the picture, I can't tell if that is white spotting on the top of the umbrella or just lighting from the tank and angle. :/ Does it look anything like this? Or is it more fuzzy like cotton?

Attached Files:

4. Level99Fishing

Level99FishingNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's bacteria but I'm not too experienced myself either. However, I recently set up a new tank that is also about 3 weeks old and was adding stability for the first week as per the instructions. I noticed that any uneaten food started developing these fluffy white growths around them. It looks exactly like what you have except a lot denser. I've not done anything to resolve it and nothing bad has happened yet. It has since been covered by my glosso and now it's basically gone.

So from my very limited experience I don't think it's anything to worry about.

5. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore!

Not sure what the white stuff is. Maybe residue from the One & Only.

But I did want to mention that when using One & Only, I would expect you to be cycled with 14 days. But it does seem like you are on your way to getting the tank cycled, hopefully you'll be cycled soon.

6. OP
    OP
    acastillo15

acastillo15New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't the lighting, there are white spots. Sorry for the weird angle, I just wanted to show the stuff underneath the umbrella as well. I think it might have what your spongebob decoration had, just a less intense case. Did you ever do something to get rid of it?

7. I see fire.

I see fire.Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yeah, I got rid of the decor and got something else. xDD I think it was the material that it was made from. Everyone kept saying it would go away on its own and that nerite snails will eat it, but after weeks neither happened and I was worried it would do something to the water so I just tossed them. It was really gross taking it out because it was really slimmy and the squidward house ended up looking like something straight out of an alien movie. The odor was horrible too. I seemed to have more luck with the natural looking decorations, they never grew anything.

This I'm pretty sure is fungus. I had the same issue. When you feed your fish, they say to remove any uneaten food and I'm pretty sure this is why, though my bettas tend to be pigs and gobble everything up in the end. When I first saw mine, I thought my heater got busted because all the food was near it. I'd do a water change and remove it honestly. :/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2019