White Fuzzy Stuff All Over My Aquarium 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ragnao, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Ragnao

RagnaoNew MemberMember

Good Day,

I've noticed that my aquarium has developed a large amount of white fuzzy substance and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is.

It is literally everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm currently cycling my aquarium and my recent readings where:
    PH- 7.4
    Ammonia 1.00 PPM
    Nitrite 0.00 PPM
    Nitrate 20 PPM

Anyone know what this is and have any advice?

2. LadyArtemis

LadyArtemisValued MemberMember

Post a pic I f possible. Is this aquarium empty(of livestock)? What additives have you used? And what is your filtration?

3. OP
    OP
    Ragnao

RagnaoNew MemberMember

The aquarium has a handful of snails that came with the plants. I only used Stabilizer when I added the water to eliminate the chlorine. I used Fish Flakes as an ammonia source. And my filter is an Aqua Clear 5 to 20 gallon filter.

Here are some image:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. LadyArtemis

Ok this is a brand new tank so you are cycling, sounds like fishless so cheers to you good job! Setup looks nice, where are you at in the cycle? Are you testing your water (I bet you are!) :) what are your current water parameters?

Honestly I have two thoughts here, it looks like you planted live plants and if this is a new setup you could be experiencing some plant “melting” where the plants are reacting to new lighting, temp, ph etc and sometimes they die back a little and “melt” and some of the stringy white things you see is the remains of that “melted” plant material.

Also, snails can be prolific egg layers and tend to lay eggs that look like little bubbles inside of strings of mucousy goo so could be snail eggs too.

It looks really nice and I don’t see anything that throws up a major red flag at me. I like seachem prime in conjunction with stabilizer, keep up with those water changes and give the plants time to settle in, just siphon out that “fuzzy stuff” as you do your water changes and I think in time things will balance out for ya! I think you are fixing to have a great tank! Hope this helps!

5. OP
    OP
    Ragnao

RagnaoNew MemberMember

You definitely would've won the bet.

My Current parameters are:

6/24/19
    PH 7.4
    Ammonia 1.00 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 20 ppm

I've been Cycling my tank for almost 5 weeks now. I am waiting for the ammonia to go down before I add any fish.

An the melting seems to make sense, I've read the that it can take a while for plants to acclamate into a new enviroment.

And I have been nothing a ton of new baby snails, with 4-6 of them being decent sized.

Thank you for the help.

6. LadyArtemis

Parameters look like you are very near the end of the cycle. A few more partial water changes and that ammonia will probably fizzle out for you! What sort of fish are you planning to keep? Only other thought is just make sure whatever you stock will be happy at that particular ph, otherwise you might have to buffer a little if you are wanting something that likes things a little more acidic than alkaline. Keep on keepin on :)

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Since you are using fish food as your ammonia source some of this could be the food growing a fungus. I would try to gently vacuum out as much as I could.