White Fuzzy...growth? On My Betta's Chin

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by butteryuzzies, Jun 13, 2019.

1. butteryuzziesNew MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? About a month, he was previously in a 2.5 gallon
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 79°
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? 1 male betta

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Every 1 to 1.5 weeks
    How much of the water do you change? 10-20%
    What do you use to treat your water? Aqueon water conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I haven't yet because I just moved him not long ago, but I plan to

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? Api freshwater master test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: .5
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 80
    pH: 7.2

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Daily
    How much do you feed your fish? 8-12 granules
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari micro pellets semi floating
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Rarely

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? Over a year
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 days
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Laying on the bottom, only coming up for air and food, white fuzzy thing on his chin.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Laying on the bottom, only coming up for air and food, white fuzzy thing on his chin.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    I first noticed him lying on the bottom of his tank 2 days ago only to come up when I open the lid to feed him. I figured he was just napping at that time and didn't think much of it. Yesterday he did the same thing, and today I paid closer attention and he wasn't swimming around much at all and didn't come up when I opened the lid to feed him until I kind of startled him a little with putting my hand up against the tank. I noticed the white spot on his chin yesterday, but it was smaller and hard to see. When I moved him to the new tank the parameters were good, other than nitrates being a bit high, and I haven't checked them since until just now. I've still been doing regular water changes though. His tank has been having algae issues, for about 2 weeks. I have been trying to mess with the lighting to maybe help with it, I also thought that could be why he was lazing around, but likely not. He has a live plant in there that he had in his old tank too I thought maybe could be contributing to the algae but once I checked the parameters I thought to do some research (googling) on the algae and I think it may be blue green algae, which is bad news. Tomorrow I'm going to take a sample up to my local fish store and see what they have to say. I'm not sure if the algae would cause this growth on his face but I do believe it would be the cause of his lethargy. Here's some pics of his growth and the algae. 20190613_201655.jpgScreenshot_2019-06-13-21-32-05.pngScreenshot_2019-06-13-21-34-39.png20190613_224018.jpg20190613_224429.jpg I appreciate anyone's advice!

2. andrearamirezo91Well Known MemberMember

Hey! Can you post any pics? My phone shows a big blank space at the end of your post so if you already uploaded pics I apologize, my phone might not be showing them! I’ll be in my computer later today tho :)

Sounds like a mouth fungus though. There’s medications that you can buy at the pet store that can treat it. I don’t remember the specific one I used back in the day (just got back into the hobby after 3-4 years), but I have used them successfully in the past. I’m sure someone else will chime in with more valuable info but in the meantime I’d start to research a little about mouth fungus and what to treat it with!

3. JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

80 nitrates is pretty high, u should prob start doing bigger water changes til u get that down. Also theres ammonia so u might b having a mini cycle which is stressing him out. Try doing 30-40% changes every few days to see if that helps him feel better. Also, the pics arent working for anyone, i think the mods are tryin to fix it.

4. butteryuzziesNew MemberMember

I uploaded pics but they seem to not be working :/ I was thinking it was a fungus too. I'll get some medicine to see if that helps, thanks!

5. butteryuzziesNew MemberMember

Okay will do, thanks!