White Fuzz On Guppy's Face

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by MissBrittnayy, Apr 24, 2018.

1. MissBrittnayy

MissBrittnayyNew MemberMember

So I noticed this white fuzz on my guppy's face while I was getting ready for work a couple days ago. In a panic because I was running late for work, I removed the carbon from the filter and dosed my tank with Melafix because it was the only thing I had on hand and I had also noticed that another guppy had a nipped fin anyway. I have tried researching what it could be and how I can treat it but I am not sure what it could be or how to treat it properly without affecting the snails and shrimp that are also in the tank. It's a very lightly planted 10g tank with 3 guppies, 2 nerite snails that I had in a 5g with a betta before the betta died and I upgraded the tank, 2 ghost shrimp, 1 cherry shrimp, and some kind of tiny blue shrimp. I haven't tested my water or done a water change yet this week, but last week my parameters were:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 5
    Nitrite: 0
    PH: 6.6 20180424_111343.jpg20180424_111441.jpg20180424_111618.jpg1524591706172.jpg

2. DutchAquarium

DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Looks like columnaris. This is a hard disease to fight. Add garlic to the food to boost his immune system. Also add in some salt. Lastly, I would dose with marcyrn which is very effective.

3. OP
    OP
    MissBrittnayy

MissBrittnayyNew MemberMember

After reading about it, that's what it seems to be. As I went to soak some food in garlic and add the salt to the tank I noticed my yellow guppy was looking bloated and started to swim on his side and kept getting caught in the filter current. Unfortunately, he did not make it another hour past the time I noticed his behavior. Everyone else in the tank seems to be acting normal for now. I am ordering some medication for them and will dose the tank as soon as I get it, assuming the other 2 guppies make it until then. Thank you for your advice. I'm going to research somewhere else to start getting my fish from. This batch came from Petco but honestly, I had much better luck with the betta I bought from Walmart. :(

4. DutchAquarium

DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Stay away from Walmart also, from what i've heard, they are even worse than petco and petsmart. The bloat on your guppy almost confirms columnaris because often your fish will get these secondary infections after.