White Fuzz On Driftwood Question

1. gimbelb85 Initiate Member

I have been reading the forum for advice as I setup a 10g freshwater tank. I have had a issue recently that I wanted advice on so I have decided to become a member.
    I added some driftwood a few weeks back after boiling and soaking it for days. Once it appeared ready, I put it in.
    Now I have white fuzz growing all over it. Some of it is turning a light shade of green. I had read forums here stating it was fine and to let it do its thing but it just keeps growing and does not show signs of stopping. The problem is my plants are getting the same thing on them and I wanted to make sure that was ok. I have been wiping it off of the plants every couple weeks just in case.
    What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

Its a harmless fungus that grows on driftwood that (at least in my experience) seems to happen a lot more in theMopani (which I believe yours is) and in new aquariums.

You can try scrubbing it away until it stays gone, but this may take a long time. For now, try pulling it out, scrubbing it down with a clean abrasive (like an old clean toothbrush or an algae scrubber), boil again, and let it completely dry in the sun.

If it gets really bad, you may want to use potassium permanganate (2tbsp in 1.5 gallons of dechloro water, completely submerge the piece and leave for 12 hours or so. Wash thoroughly with fresh dechloro water+scrub it down, and feel free to boil again. And wear gloves). I say this as a last resort as KMnO4 can be a bit harder to get and it stains a*lovely* purple color.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

And welcome to the forum btw!

:;bananad2:;bananad2:;bananad2:;bananad2:;bananad2:;bananad2:;bananad2:;bananad2:;bananad2

3. NEboy Initiate Member

Actually, I have also had that problem with several pieces of my driftwood. The shop here told me it was 'normal and would go away with time', which it did and has never come back. I just left it alone and let it do its thing.

4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

This happened to me too. I scrubbed it every day for a week but it came back really quickly then I gave up and just left it. About 2 weeks later I scrubbed it again and it never returned.

5. gimbelb85 Initiate Member

Thank you for the advice. I am for a nice natural approach so I will leave it for a couple more weeks and then try a scrub with my brush. But I am a little more concerned about the plants. Should I keep cleaning the fuzz off of them or is it ok to let it grow? My plants are already looking a little rough after being pulled out of the tank for a few days. I might end of having to replace them anyway. Some recommend fake plants but I really like the look/feel of real plants.