White fuzz looking stuff on driftwood?

Zephyrski

Hi all. I added some nice mopani wood to my tank, and it started to have this white fuzz film on the light parts of it. Is this anything to be considered about? Also how do I get rid of it because it just doesn't look great?

Attachments

• 20220120_144736.jpg
    20220120_144736.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 10

ForBettaorForWorse

My mopani wood did the same thing, and I heard you could boil it off (Which I, in hindsight, should have done)

carsonsgjs

Looks like regular new driftwood biofilm. It will go on its own, you can clean it off or some fish or inverts will eat it.

BigManAquatics

Usually it just vacs off for me. Certainly not concerning, pretty normal.

Wayne73

Hi all. I added some nice mopani wood to my tank, and it started to have this white fuzz film on the light parts of it. Is this anything to be considered about? Also how do I get rid of it because it
Its definitely bio film, its nothing to be worried about.It will disappear within a few weeks.

Zephyrski

Ah okay, thanks everyone :)
Ah okay, thanks everyone :)
Oh and on the topic, I think I asked before, but is there any easier way to clear the water of tannis? I don't hate a little bit but this mopani is getting super dark

Blacksheep1

My snails loved this fuzz ! Water changes will dilute it temporarily but eventually it’ll stop on its own.
If you could boil it that will leach a lot out and solve the fuzz issue in one go

Barrk2

I’ve boiled driftwood in the past and still had crazy amounts of fuzz- just so you know. It should help with the tannins though

cyirra

My mopani and other driftwood did the same and i boiled all of it before putting it in. I didn't see any ill effects from it.

MrMuggles

I love the white fuzz mold that came with my driftwood, it is food, all my fish eat it.

GpixL

Normal Biofilm dont worry about it. Comes with new tanks and items.

I love the white fuzz mold that came with my driftwood, it is food, all my fish eat it.
Yes that is a good use for it :)

Rgtx

Like other have said it's harmless, surprised it appeared so soon on your wood. It took a week or so for it to appear on driftwood. It goes away pretty quickly too.

KingOscar

Oh and on the topic, I think I asked before, but is there any easier way to clear the water of tannis? I don't hate a little bit but this mopani is getting super dark
A small bag of Seachem Purigen in your filter will remove it best. I found it clears most of it in a day or two, then I removed the bag and saved it for when the tannins built up again in a couple weeks. As said, eventually normal water changes will remove it all. Now that mine are long gone, I wish I didn't try to remove it early on. But I could hardly see the fish in the back of the tank, so it was pretty bad!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Christen26
Replies
Views
Rebsfish
  • Question
Replies
Views
WendiWoo