White Fuzz Growing On Aquarium Plants…

Lurker35Official

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Recently, the plants in my betta tank have started to grow fuzz on them. It always seems to grow in small clumps/clusters and has grown on just about every plant except my crypts. Is this some sort of fungus, should I be worried?

If it helps at all, I recently had a rather large nitrate spike, and there’s still some lingering in the water, despite multiple pwc’s in the last day or so

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm (down from over 5ppm, too high for the kit)
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
BFCE708A-01EA-4CEF-8B03-25961FEA2709.jpeg

BB615463-00FB-4FA0-B00D-6563BCB0AD3F.jpeg

Attachments

OP
L

Lurker35Official

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a tiger nerite in there, but they generally stick to the glass, I’ve never seen them anywhere else

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i've seen this stuff before... I think they might actually be little clusters of organisms like vorticella or something more benign. if you look closely enough, do the tiny dots appear to move/swI'm around the clusters?

of course it could be a type of algae, but I don't have an id for it

OP
L

Lurker35Official

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That definitely could be the case. I couldn’t really see any movement, but looking closer at some of the clusters, they seemed to be made up of dots rather than strings or anything like that.

Also, I’ve read that they feed on bacteria, would they die back a bit, or at least stop spreading when my cycle rights itself?

New Threads