White "fungus" Growing On Neon Tetra

adh/smile

Hello everybody!

I have just bought a school of neon tetras from PetSmart on Saturday, one died yesterday and today I noticed that one has a layer of white fuzzy growth on his dorsal fin. I immediately quarantined him this morning and am wondering what do do.

What could this white fuzz be?
What should I be doing for this poor fish?
Are my other fish (remaining neon tetras and some julI corydoras) safe from growing this fuzz?

I was thinking of giving the tetra with the fuzz a salt bath, but I don't know how this will affect him because neon tetras are really sensitive to changes. One of them died right from the store because of stress I think. All the fish looked healthy in the store tank.

All my fish, even the fuzz-grower tetra, are swimming around normal, eating fine, and seem perfectly healthy! Any advice or info will be very appreciated! Thanks guys

TexasDomer

Fungal infections are usually opportunistic and often secondary to bacterial infections. They often clear up with good water quality and good diet. I would expect that the stress of the store and water quality was an issue, and that he'll improve in your tank. Keep up with water quality (large and frequent water changes are good!). If he gets worse or doesn't improve in a week or so, I would start considering treatment.

Can you take a pic of him?

TXflyFisher

I had a neon tetra, ironically purchased from petsmart as well, develop this same fungal type of growth about a week post purchase.
It has been about a month of weekly water changes and the fungus has not spread to any fish and has decresed in size about 90% on my neon.
Clean your tank, vacuum the gravel, change the water and pay close attention to it over time. It should go away.

adh/smile

Fungal infections are usually opportunistic and often secondary to bacterial infections. They often clear up with good water quality and good diet. I would expect that the stress of the store and water quality was an issue, and that he'll improve in your tank. Keep up with water quality (large and frequent water changes are good!). If he gets worse or doesn't improve in a week or so, I would start considering treatment.

Can you take a pic of him?
Yeah the water quality the fish came from was not great... store fish tanks hardly ever are great. I tried taking a picture of him and it DID NOT turn out well (just a blue blur with some red, no detail, he wouldn't hold still) so I won't even bother posting it, sorry. I gave him a salt bath and gently rubbed his dorsal fin with the pad of my thumb and forefinger and a chunk of the fuzz came off and he looks way better now. I always am vigilant with keeping all my tanks clean with superb water quality (don't mean to sound boastful, but I do!).
I had a neon tetra, ironically purchased from petsmart as well, develop this same fungal type of growth about a week post purchase.
It has been about a month of weekly water changes and the fungus has not spread to any fish and has decresed in size about 90% on my neon.
Clean your tank, vacuum the gravel, change the water and pay close attention to it over time. It should go away.
You kept your "fungal-infested-neon" in the main tank? Should I keep my little guy in the quarantine tank? It sounds like I could put him back in the main tank with the other tetras if you say it should improve with good water quality and not get to the other fish. Would that be ok? It seems like he might be more stressed away from the larger school of tetras.

TexasDomer

I think it'd be fine to add him back to the main tank since he doesn't need treatment.

TXflyFisher

I personally kept him with the main school because I do not have a quarantine tank. My thinking was that he was less stressed in the school, and if it started to spread more I would either medicate the tank or remove him.

adh/smile

I personally kept him with the main school because I do not have a quarantine tank. My thinking was that he was less stressed in the school, and if it started to spread more I would either medicate the tank or remove him.
Ok, I think I'll do the same thing. Thank you guys for your help!

TXflyFisher

one thing that I will add on my affected fish is that though the fungus growth has gone away it seems as though he lost all color where the fungus was attached. A majority of his blue and red regions are now a clear color on his right side. This could potentially color up with time I think.

adh/smile

I've noticed that the neons I got from the store were all very pale. It's funny, the one that has this bit of fungus is actually the one who's colored up the most! He is a beautiful bright blue and red while the others are paler blue and almost an orange-pink color. Though even those less colorful ones have brightened up a ton since getting them into my tank!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticJ
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
Kcakes
Replies
Views