White Fungus/algae On Driftwood?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by XenoMarc, Apr 12, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello.
    I am currently cycling my 240 litre tank with neon tetras (which I explained in my other thread) and some white fungus/algae has grown on the spider wood.
    Will it harm the fish?
    Will the bubbles in it be full of gases like ammonia?
    Will it possibly contain diseases (like neon Tetra disease), microbes or parasites?
    Please reply.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Todd Beasley

Todd Beasley New Member Member

Don't worry about it. The fungus is common with new driftwood. It wont harm the fish, and some will even munch on it. If it bothers you, boiling the driftwood for a while before adding it to the tank should eliminate the issue.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Totally normal for driftwood. It will stop eventually. You have a lot so I would take it out and brush it off under hot water. I have never heard of it harming fish. I haven't had a problem.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I never got those fungal growths. But now I seem to be getting them :eek:

5. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

I had the exact same thing happening to my spider wood.
    I took it out, rubbed it off with my hands under hot water and stuck it back in the aquarium.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Ive got the same thing happening in my betta tank, the fish seems fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

You could pick up some amano shrimps, I had the same thing and my shrimps ate it up pretty fast. They won't bother your neons at all and are a pretty good cleaning crew.

8. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

On the fungal growths, they have bubbles in them and they often float to the surface. Do you think the bubbles may harm the fish or contain any poisonous gases?

9. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

Mine did the same thing when I added two new pieces , I just kept up with my normal water changes while the shrimps ate it up and nothing bad ever happened. That growth is pretty common with new driftwood pieces

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice