Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoMarc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello.
I am currently cycling my 240 litre tank with neon tetras (which I explained in my other thread) and some white fungus/algae has grown on the spider wood.
Will it harm the fish?
Will the bubbles in it be full of gases like ammonia?
Will it possibly contain diseases (like neon Tetra disease), microbes or parasites?
Please reply.
Thank you.

Attachments

Todd Beasley

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't worry about it. The fungus is common with new driftwood. It wont harm the fish, and some will even munch on it. If it bothers you, boiling the driftwood for a while before adding it to the tank should eliminate the issue.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Totally normal for driftwood. It will stop eventually. You have a lot so I would take it out and brush it off under hot water. I have never heard of it harming fish. I haven't had a problem.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I never got those fungal growths. But now I seem to be getting them

Herkimur

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had the exact same thing happening to my spider wood.
I took it out, rubbed it off with my hands under hot water and stuck it back in the aquarium.

TySabol

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could pick up some amano shrimps, I had the same thing and my shrimps ate it up pretty fast. They won't bother your neons at all and are a pretty good cleaning crew.

XenoMarc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
On the fungal growths, they have bubbles in them and they often float to the surface. Do you think the bubbles may harm the fish or contain any poisonous gases?

TySabol

Valued Member
Reaction score
On the fungal growths, they have bubbles in them and they often float to the surface. Do you think the bubbles may harm the fish or contain any poisonous gases?
Mine did the same thing when I added two new pieces , I just kept up with my normal water changes while the shrimps ate it up and nothing bad ever happened. That growth is pretty common with new driftwood pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 40 63.5%

Top Bottom