White Fungal Growth Keeps Coming Back on Oranda Goldfish

moorrgannn

Hi Everyone!

I have a 40 gallon tank with 1 oranda goldfish and need help with a recurring fungal infection.

I bought an anubias plant and 2 java ferns for my tank from a local aquarium store a couple of months ago and when I came home from a weekend trip shortly after, there was white fungus spots on my fish’s tail/fins as well as mild fungus growth on it’s face. I turned the heater up a couple of degrees, treated with pimafix, and it went away.

Ever since, as long as I do not continually treat the tank with pimafix, the spots come back. I’ve tried more frequent water changes, I took the plants out, and have had 0 luck. I just did a 20% water change yesterday and today, there’s small white cottony strings on the glass and the white tail spots are coming back (pictures attached.)

I’m relatively new to fishkeeping - I’ve only had this tank and fish since November 2021 so I am hoping someone here will be able to identify what this fungus is and tell me what I’m missing/doing wrong.

Attachments

• CA95C95C-5199-4A55-B3E2-C5CB50A86E0E.jpeg
    CA95C95C-5199-4A55-B3E2-C5CB50A86E0E.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 49FD7019-8E21-45F9-A3A4-5CD4303A3BC4.jpeg
    49FD7019-8E21-45F9-A3A4-5CD4303A3BC4.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 16

RishonRJ

I recommend doing weekly water changes if you are using a substrate to prevent fungal growth.
if you want to do less frequent water changes, then remove the substrate and you will be fine.

just make sure you apply paragaurd from API. if fish is stressed after a water change, add a mixture of 5 ml of water and 5 drops of pure aloe vera juice.

DoubleDutch

Why exactly did you turn up the heater?
Fungus and several bacteria will love you for doing so.

Is it really fungus or an excess of mucus?

moorrgannn

I recommend doing weekly water changes if you are using a substrate to prevent fungal growth.
if you want to do less frequent water changes, then remove the substrate and you will be fine.

just make sure you apply paragaurd from API. if fish is stressed after a water change, add a mixture of 5 ml of water and 5 drops of pure aloe vera juice.
I will try paraguard - thank you! I did read that Pimafix is more of an herbal remedy & maybe I need something stronger. What do you think?
Why exactly did you turn up the heater?
Fungus and several bacteria will love you for doing so.

Is it really fungus or an excess of mucus?
Well, initially I did not have a heater at all in his tank (just a thermometer) because the water always stayed around room temperature (68°ish.) But, during the weekend I was gone, it got really cold here & I had my indoor heat turned down so when I came home, his water was about 62°F. After some Googling, I thought the cold water suppressed my Oranda’s immune system just enough that some fungus in his tank became opportunistic. Ever since, I have had a heater set to 72°. Is this too high? I’ve been assuming it’s fungus because it’s cottony & at first Pimafix worked to get rid of it. Thank you!

RishonRJ

I will try paraguard - thank you! I did read that Pimafix is more of an herbal remedy & maybe I need something stronger. What do you think?

Well, initially I did not have a heater at all in his tank (just a thermometer) because the water always stayed around room temperature (68°ish.) But, during the weekend I was gone, it got really cold here & I had my indoor heat turned down so when I came home, his water was about 62°F. After some Googling, I thought the cold water suppressed my Oranda’s immune system just enough that some fungus in his tank became opportunistic. Ever since, I have had a heater set to 72°. Is this too high? I’ve been assuming it’s fungus because it’s cottony & at first Pimafix worked to get rid of it. Thank you!
Herbal is not always the solution buddy.... paragaurd will heal your fish in 1-5 days(depending on the severity of the disease)

MacZ

After some Googling, I thought the cold water suppressed my Oranda’s immune system just enough that some fungus in his tank became opportunistic.
Goldfish are usually kept at between 14 and 18°C, going up to 26°C only for a while in summer. Less overbred forms can easily overwinter in a pond in temperate climate. The info about the immune system dialing down at a certain low temperature concerns tropical fish, not Goldfish. Theirs only dials down at about 10°C and then usually bacteria and fungi are also very much inactive. (Not a Goldfish keeper but I looked after some aquaria with european native fish for a while. Goldfish broadly share the same conditions these need.)

Herbal is not always the solution buddy.... paragaurd will heal your fish in 1-5 days(depending on the severity of the disease)
All depends on using the right treatment for the right problem.

Actually doesn't look like fungus but bacteria.

Please use the emergency template. Often such long term problems are due to mistakes in husbandry and go away on their own when conditions are brought to optimum. Hope with the info from answering the template the goldfish keepers can help with improving conditions.

sydrc

i had this same exact issue with my silver oranda, who looks a lot like yours and also has a golden patch :) i added aquarium salt at the recommended dose and did daily water changes, vacuumed the gravel and everything, i also used melafix before the aquarium salt, but i’m pretty sure the salt is what did it. it cleared up and hasn’t been back since

RishonRJ

Goldfish are usually kept at between 14 and 18°C, going up to 26°C only for a while in summer. Less overbred forms can easily overwinter in a pond in temperate climate. The info about the immune system dialing down at a certain low temperature concerns tropical fish, not Goldfish. Theirs only dials down at about 10°C and then usually bacteria and fungi are also very much inactive. (Not a Goldfish keeper but I looked after some aquaria with european native fish for a while. Goldfish broadly share the same conditions these need.)

All depends on using the right treatment for the right problem.

Actually doesn't look like fungus but bacteria.

Please use the emergency template. Often such long term problems are due to mistakes in husbandry and go away on their own when conditions are brought to optimum. Hope with the info from answering the template the goldfish keepers can help with improving conditions.
that's what i'm sayin buddy, but now it looks like some anchor worm(I guess). but I'm not a biologist, so I'm not sure of it.

Hi Everyone!

I have a 40 gallon tank with 1 oranda goldfish and need help with a recurring fungal infection.

I bought an anubias plant and 2 java ferns for my tank from a local aquarium store a couple of months ago and when I came home from a weekend trip shortly after, there was white fungus spots on my fish’s tail/fins as well as mild fungus growth on it’s face. I turned the heater up a couple of degrees, treated with pimafix, and it went away.

Ever since, as long as I do not continually treat the tank with pimafix, the spots come back. I’ve tried more frequent water changes, I took the plants out, and have had 0 luck. I just did a 20% water change yesterday and today, there’s small white cottony strings on the glass and the white tail spots are coming back (pictures attached.)

I’m relatively new to fishkeeping - I’ve only had this tank and fish since November 2021 so I am hoping someone here will be able to identify what this fungus is and tell me what I’m missing/doing wrong.
so could you make it more clear? so everyone can understand what ur saying.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OutsideFoodBlob
Replies
Views
BigFish99
Replies
Views
isabellarami
Replies
Views