- White Fluffy Patches On My Betta Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fishstickx, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Fishstickx

FishstickxNew MemberMember

2CD265CA-F537-4D4A-A78D-C9EE13939CD5.jpeg I got my betta fish about 2-3 weeks ago from Pet Supplies Plus. The first 2 weeks he was happy, energetic, and having a fun time in his new tank. After the 3rd week started, I noticed he was not very active as he was at the beginning. I noticed he started getting white patches around the gill area, and on the 2nd day, started breathing rapidly. On the third day, the patches started getting bigger.

I have attached some photos above.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 1gal (I’m considering getting a new one, bigger)
    How long has the tank been running? 3 weeks
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? No
    What is the water temperature? Lowered to 74 degrees (someone said that would slow the infection down)
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) One betta fish

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Every 3-5 days
    How much of the water do you change? 30%
    What do you use to treat your water? Tetra AquaSafe
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just the water

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: Unable to measure with these specific test strips (getting more soon)
    Nitrite: 0.5
    Nitrate: 5
    pH: 6.0

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Every day
    How much do you feed your fish? 3 pellets
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqueon Betta Food
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 3 weeks
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 days ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? On and off lethargy, white fluffy-like patches near the gills
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, Tetra Lifeguard for Betta
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes, was energetic, and now inactive, only to swim around and go up for air.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) At first sight (day 1), I immediately started him on Tetra Lifeguard, which is supposed to clear up bacteria. It has not seemed to help. On Day 2, the white patches were a tad bit bigger, and there were fluffy spots around the body. Day 3, They were even bigger, and the white patches around the body had grown. This is his current state as of this post.

Attached Files:

2. RyanC14

RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Sounds like fungus in my opinion. Your tank does not seem to be fully cycled, it would have 0 nitrites if it was. Also, you definitely need a heater, bettas need at the very least 77 F or higher. Lower temperatures will make bettas more prone to disease.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Fishstickx

Ok. I’m scraping together the money to buy one. (I’m broke lol)

4. RyanC14

That's a mood. Also maybe do more frequent water changes.

5. OP
    OP
    Fishstickx

Ok. I have Tetra Lifeguard on me, would that help?

6. RyanC14

It might help, make sure to remove carbon from the filter if you use it though.

7. OP
    OP
    Fishstickx

Hey, a little update, I ran out to the store to buy some Tetra EasyBalance and some Pimafix. I put the first dose of Pimafix in, and have started little Fishstick on Pimafix. Planning to get water changed tomorrow, mainly due to the heat.