White fluff on plant

Karen627

I’m sure this has been asked and answered a million times, and I’m just too new to this to realize it. Anyway:

I’m in the process of cycling a 40 gallon breeder that I plan to put two fan-tailed goldfish in. I have two anubias nanas, and two windelov Java ferns. I had three Java ferns, but one got overrun with white fluff and I threw it out a couple of days ago — I’ve already got algae, I’ve got my cycle out of whack, and I just didn’t want to deal with this fluff on top of everything else.

So now I’ve found fluff on one of my remaining Java ferns. The plant seems to be growing okay, it’s sprouting a lot of new little baby plants, and I feel like this is the one thing going well in my tank and I’ve grown attached to the thing and now I’m mad. I want that fluff gone. But what even is it? How do I get rid of it?

Here’s the old, overrun plant that I made no effort with and threw away, to give you an idea of what the fluff looks like.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• DCD78CC1-3862-4B10-AD09-F28184DF3DB2.jpeg
    DCD78CC1-3862-4B10-AD09-F28184DF3DB2.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 15

A201

Looks like fungus. It feeds on dead & decaying bio mater.
It's no big emergency. You can wipe the fuzz off the plants & decor.
There evidently is excess decaying nutrients in the environment.

Karen627

Looks like fungus. It feeds on dead & decaying bio mater.
It's no big emergency. You can wipe the fuzz off the plants & decor.
There evidently is excess decaying nutrients in the environment.
I’m adding ammonia every other day during the cycling process, the nitrites have been pretty high, and the nitrates are starting to rise (finally). Would that have anything to do with it?

Would it be harmful to the goldfish when the cycle is done and I’m ready to add them?

A201

The nitrates might have influence towards the fungus growth.
Once your tank completely cycles, and the Goldfish are introduced, be careful not to overfeed & be sure to make a weekly 30% - 50% water change.
The fungus itself won't hurt the fish, but the underlying factors that cause the fungal growth can.
Once things get leveled out, fungus will likely disappear.
Btw, new driftwood added to the tank almost always developes a harmless & temporary fungal growth.

Karen627

That’s very reassuring. Thank you again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views