White Floaters In Water And How To Control Algae?

JasmineMcG
What is this white stuff floating in my tank? It looks like dandruff floating around or like dust particles in the air?
IMG_20180815_194836.jpg also, any way to control the algae growth on this fake white plant? Its gross looking at to difficult for my snails or pleco or any of my other bottom dwellers to clean
IMG_20180815_194937.jpg

Tony_097
With the plant I would manualy remove the algae and a water change could fix the debris like problem and the algae problem

JasmineMcG
With the plant I woukd manualy remove the algae and a water change could fix the debris like problem and the algae problem
I just did a water change day before yesterday. They are always done regularly usually every 4 to 5 days

I just did a water change day before yesterday. They are always done regularly usually every 4 to 5 days
Also, I have wiped it off in the tank a few times already and it comes back in like... 2 days or less

Tony_097
Overfeeding could also be causing the algae problems also it could just be your water supply

JasmineMcG
Overfeeding could also be causing the algae problems also it could just be your water supply
I fasted the tank for 4 days because of a bloated molly and it still came right back. And I live in Colorado our water is beautiful so I don't think its that.

Tony_097
Have you tested your water parameters

JasmineMcG
Have you tested your water parameters
Ya
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5 nitrate
Ph 7.6
Temp 76

I don't clean my glass or my decor because I have snails and a pleco and stuff. Just vacuum my gravel. And even that I only do sections at a time. I want algae. Just don't like it on a white plant lol

Tony_097
Weird how it grows in the only place you don't want it to lol

JasmineMcG
Weird how it grows in the only place you don't want it to lol
Right! Lol

Stormsong
Sometimes the fake plants have a different texture to them and seem to "grab" the algae better. My son has a bright purple plant (one of those neon ones) in his tank and its brown within a week even though the rest of the tank is fairly clean. We just take it out and wash it and put it back. I've learned that when it comes to algae, light is usually the big factor. If the tank is getting sunlight or you're keeping the light on too much, it will increase algae growth and take over your tank. If its none of those things and you just have an obstinate fake plant, I would just take it out.

JasmineMcG
Sometimes the fake plants have a different texture to them and seem to "grab" the algae better. My son has a bright purple plant (one of those neon ones) in his tank and its brown within a week even though the rest of the tank is fairly clean. We just take it out and wash it and put it back. I've learned that when it comes to algae, light is usually the big factor. If the tank is getting sunlight or you're keeping the light on too much, it will increase algae growth and take over your tank. If its none of those things and you just have an obstinate fake plant, I would just take it out.
I'm thinking it's come out. Replace it with something real

Hunter1
Live plants.

They will use the same nutrients the algae does.

Plus fish love them.

Plus they reduce nitrates.

Plus they are beautiful.

Tony_097
Man I love live plants but all my fish love to nip at them

Hunter1
Tony_097
Yup both infact lol in a pond and tanks apart that I have turtles in the pond that will destroy amolst anything execept fish

JasmineMcG
I have one live one that I love. I was thinking moss balls actually. Never had one before

Tony_097
Never had much luck with even anarchis and water lettuce which is weird considering I have grown couple colonies of coral

Hunter1
I got confused, thought I was responding to OP.

Start with the easy ones; swords, anarchis, java fern, and floating plants like frogbit or hornwort.

Floating plants reduce nitrates the most.

Tony_097
I have before lol I just bought snacks for my fish even when I had a large community tank with livebearers and tetras etc. Bad luck maybe ?

midna
bacopa monnierI (moneywort) would be a good replacement for the plant decoration; they look similar and bacopa isn't a demanding live plant.

the specks might just be random debris or infusoria, teeny tiny critters in your water. they're normal in fish tanks.

JasmineMcG
I got confused, thought I was responding to OP.

Start with the easy ones; swords, anarchis, java fern, and floating plants like frogbit or hornwort.

Floating plants reduce nitrates the most.
I don't have goldfish or chiclids. I have mollies, a rfs, a bn pleco, a dojo loach and a couple snails. None of them bother the plants

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Bj259
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Bj259
Top Bottom