fish1.PNG
fish2.PNG
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 6 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Black racer snail, mystery snail, female betta, gold panda molly, dalmatian molly

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 2 weeks
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? salt, aquasafe plus water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? Test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:40
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? One to two times daily
How much do you feed your fish? small pinches of flakes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetramin tropical flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White flaky substance on Dalmatian Molly
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Other than the white flakes behaviour and appearance seems normal

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Hi, today I noticed what seems to be a white flaky substance on my dalmatian molly. This is a recent development as I spend time observing my fish daily but have never noticed this problem. The fish is still very active and behaving normally. I've been looking at examples of various illnesses on here and am still not entirely sure what this is. Maybe a fungus? Does anyone recognize this illness? Should I quarantine her?

Ghelfaire

I would go with it being a bacterial infection. With that small rank and those fish you should be cleaning 50% of the water every week or even twice a week. Doing some water changes should bring your nitrates down to a safe level (under 20ppm). Since you have snails I would put her in quarantine if you treat her.

Side note
Mollies get too big (4"+) and and active for that tank and really need a absolute bare minimum of 20g.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gillyweeds
Replies
Views
MeowMadz
Replies
Views
Teairra
Replies