White Film or scum on glass. What is it?

Tankmandan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have been running this tank for a month. I have finished the cycle and then I started to notice this white film or scum or something on the inside of the glass. It honestly almost looks like a fog or hot breath on glass. It is very difficult to remove but can be scratched off. I am using tap water in the tank and the water is on the harder side but not super high. Tap water GH-100-160ppm and the KH is normally 80ppm or lower. The tank does have CO2 injection. Does anyone have any experience with this issue and can point me in the right direction? Thanks for reading.
thumbnail_Image.jpg

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's algae. Check your water nutrients and all of that. You can get an algae scraper if you want, but better to figure out what's causing it in the first place.

OP
Tankmandan

Tankmandan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hmmmm. I can't seem to find much information on it. I have recently decreased my flow in the tank. I understand how to clean it I just want to also learn how to prevent if possible. MY nutrients are exactly as they have been since the tank was started. It is not on the surface of the water as most information on biofilm is.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You just deal with it. Scrape it off the glass manually or have snails to eat it. It will not go away. It is on every surface not just the top of the water.

New Threads