White film on top of aquarium water?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Neco the Pleco, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Neco the PlecoNew MemberMember

Its a 75 gallon, and has been cycling for about a week. A few days ago I put in some stress-zyme. Is the film safe for fish? How should I get rid of it? 75gallonwater.JPG

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

That definitely doesn't look normal...it MAY be safe, but I wouldn't want to put fish in it!

How have you been cycling your tank?

3. MsheresyValued MemberMember

I've never encountered that before....

4. Neco the PlecoNew MemberMember

The tank is about a third water from their current tank, I'v been doing the flake/food cycling.

5. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

There's no need to move water over from an established tank; the bacteria lives on surfaces, it isn't free-floating.

I would assume the film was due to the flakes decaying. No matter though, because you're a long way from being done cycling, and you'll have to thoroughly clean the scummies out of the tank before you put fish in anyway. :)

6. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Creating more surface water movement will help to prevent a build up of surface scum. Adding an air stone, aiming outflow tubes toward the surface will work.

In the link above, scroll down to Surface Scum.

What type of filtration do you have on this tank?

starhanging.gif If you would, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they may have to your questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Ken

7. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Hey buddy,

First of all BIN the stress zyme, it is useless and I believe it can actually harm some fish in the long run by suffocating them, from what I know the bacteria in the zyme is not the correct bacteria. The only thing I add to my water is PRIME by sechem, it removes chlorine full stop and also harmful products from the water for 24H. I am telling you this as the best of my knowledge, if anyone else knows better please post!

8. 3aquariumsValued MemberMember

stress zyme and seachem stability never properly cycled a tank for me. I'm using Tetra Safe Start for a 75 now, and it's the most recommended one on the forum. There's a thread about it somewhere on here. One of the moderators will probably post the details.

9. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Stress zyme is never meant to cycle a tank, it is meant to be a sort of booster, from the information I received from members on here stress zyme does more harm than good

10. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

The white film on the surface is due to lack of surface movement, as Ken informed.
    Get a cover glass to reduce evaporation, use an airstone and direct filteroutflow so the water circulates more.
    If you are cycling the tank, I wouldn't recomend adding any fish as long as surface is not clean and clear.