White Film On Driftwood?

LeoDiaz

What is this white film attach to my tanks driftwood and on some of the aquarium glass? image.jpg

Coradee

It's a fungus, quite common on new wood. It's quite harmless, if you don't like how it looks take it out & run boiling water over it & rub it off, it may come back for a while after though

LeoDiaz

It's a fungus, quite common on new wood. It's quite harmless, if you don't like how it looks take it out & run boiling water over it & rub it off, it may come back for a while after though

So if I don't do nothing will it eventually come of? And why does it happen?

Coradee

I've no idea why it happens, just that it does & eventually it just goes away.

LeoDiaz

I've no idea why it happens, just that it does & eventually it just goes away.

So if it doesn't harm anything I would just let it disappear by itself.

Coradee

It may get worse before it gets better but it's harmless.

LeoDiaz

Yea some areas are completely cover in it.

Dadio

Yea some areas are completely cover in it.

Diatoms - This is feeding of the bacteria of the wood. It'll eventually do away or do as mentioned. I went through the same thing and picked away at most of it. Once the wood has stabilized it'll go away.

Bluestreakfl

I never had it show up in my 10 gallon with new driftwood. However in my 55 gallon one piece was growing a hairdo with this stuff. I threw in some pond snails and they went bananas over it. By the time it was halfway gone I had added my BN pleco and he devoured what was left of it overnight. I didnt do much special to any of my driftwood prior to adding it into the tank, just rinsed it off in as hot of water as the tap gets and let it soak in there for about 15 minutes.

djr1

Very common. Some fish may even pick at it. Just a harmless fungus that will go away on its own once the bacteria catch up.
Other than being somewhat unsightly looking. No harm to livestock.

LeoDiaz

Very common. Some fish may even pick at it. Just a harmless fungus that will go away on its own once the bacteria catch up.
Other than being somewhat unsightly looking. No harm to livestock.

Which bacteria the Beneficial bacteria?

djr1

Sorry. Yes the beneficial bacteria. It will go away on its own.
I personally freaked slightly when I added pre soaked mopanI in my main and a few days later had this goo all over the mopani. But everyone here is right. It will go away on it's own.

LeoDiaz

Sorry. Yes the beneficial bacteria. It will go away on its own.
I personally freaked slightly when I added pre soaked mopanI in my main and a few days later had this goo all over the mopani. But everyone here is right. It will go away on it's own.
Ok, it's weird I never had fungus grown on my other pieces I had in my old 55 gallon. I might be getting more pieces of driftwood will it grown on those too? What the fungus feeding on.

djr1

Strange why but whenever you introduce anything new to an aquarium you need to give it time for BB to catch up ( why you don't add all your fish at once ).
It's a natural process.

LeoDiaz

Strange why but whenever you introduce anything new to an aquarium you need to give it time for BB to catch up ( why you don't add all your fish at once ).
It's a natural process.
So fungus grows for what? To help the bb?

djr1

What is the fuzzy stuff you ask?
The fuzz growing on the driftwood is some sort of bacterial fungus or mold which is harmless to the livestock in your fish tank. It can grow right away, few weeks, or a months after you introduce a piece of new/old driftwood. It is not aesthetically eye pleasing but don't worry too much about it. It's treatable.

What causes it?
The fish tank and water is filled with all sorts of beneficial bacteria. Whenever you introduce items into your tank, especially organic matter such as a piece of driftwood, bacteria or fungus will find a place to colonize and grow. The driftwood will release excess carbohydrates and delicious nutrients that the bacterial fungus love feeding on. There may be some organic matter on the wood that the bacterial fungus maybe feeding on. It's just part of the decomposition process of the organic matter (driftwood) introduced into an oxygen and bacteria rich environment. It's just nature doing it's job.

How can I do to get rid of it?
As unpleasing as the site of the white fuzzy film on the driftwood, it is harmless to the fish. Some fish, shrimps, and snails seem to have a liking to the fuzzy film and love munching on it. Before deciding what your course of action, my personal preference is always find a natural way to deal with any sort of outbreak or problem. In this case, since it's a part of the decomposition cycle, I would just give it time for the fuzz to go away. The fuzzy film will disappear after a few days, or weeks.

Remedies:
-Fish such as otocinclus, bristlenose plecos (bnp), and snails will love to eat this film off for you; however, keep in mind that if you introduce snails into your tank....they may become pests to you in the future.
-taking the piece of wood out and scrubbing off the white fuzz when it looks too unpleasing to your sight
-treat the fuzz with one of Seachem Excel, metricide, bleach, hydrogen peroxide (I'm not too much of a fan for this method, but it's worked for some members)
-GIVE IT TIME FOR NATURE TO DO HER THING.
If I'm allowed to do that.

LeoDiaz

The fuzz growing on the driftwood is some sort of bacterial fungus or mold which is harmless to the livestock in your fish tank. It can grow right away, few weeks, or a months after you introduce a piece of new/old driftwood. It is not aesthetically eye pleasing but don't worry too much about it. It's treatable.

What causes it?
The fish tank and water is filled with all sorts of beneficial bacteria. Whenever you introduce items into your tank, especially organic matter such as a piece of driftwood, bacteria or fungus will find a place to colonize and grow. The driftwood will release excess carbohydrates and delicious nutrients that the bacterial fungus love feeding on. There may be some organic matter on the wood that the bacterial fungus maybe feeding on. It's just part of the decomposition process of the organic matter (driftwood) introduced into an oxygen and bacteria rich environment. It's just nature doing it's job.

As unpleasing as the site of the white fuzzy film on the driftwood, it is harmless to the fish. Some fish, shrimps, and snails seem to have a liking to the fuzzy film and love munching on it. Before deciding what your course of action, my personal preference is always find a natural way to deal with any sort of outbreak or problem. In this case, since it's a part of the decomposition cycle, I would just give it time for the fuzz to go away. The fuzzy film will disappear after a few days, or weeks.

Remedies:
-Fish such as otocinclus, bristlenose plecos (bnp), and snails will love to eat this film off for you; however, keep in mind that if you introduce snails into your tank....they may become pests to you in the future.
-taking the piece of wood out and scrubbing off the white fuzz when it looks too unpleasing to your sight
-treat the fuzz with one of Seachem Excel, metricide, bleach, hydrogen peroxide (I'm not too much of a fan for this method, but it's worked for some members)

Make sense the other pieces I used to have didn't get because I had BN pleco in the tank. But in this tank I don't have any that why it can grow wild. Thanx.

djr1

Glad we could help.

Aqua Hero

is a marine fungus that grows on wood.I had it allow over my spider wood. just leave it, trust me it will go away because bacteria will out compete it. do not boil the wood. by boiling it you will give the fungus a new clean surface to colonize again. I learnt that the hard way. its harmless to fish, shrimp and plants. RCS and snails eat it too.

Coradee

What causes it?

Remedies:

If you take information from other sites, credit should always be given

djr1

Duly noted. Hence the "if I'm allowed to do that". Thanks

Bluestreakfl

Quoting data and info is generally fine, as long as you give credit to the source.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom