White Excretions?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by k8XP, Dec 3, 2012.

1. k8XP

k8XP Valued Member Member

First of all, hello, I'm Kate and new to this forum. I have a 20g planted Tiger barb species tank with 5 inhabitants currently. The tank was cycled with ammonia for about 5 weeks before I added fish about a week and a half ago. I have an Aquaclear 50, and just added an Aqueon 10 to seed for my QT tank.

Anyway; I have noticed two of the tiger barbs had white excretions. I don't think this is normal, and don't know how to diagnose properly, then treat properly. They are eating fine (small amount Aqueon tropical flakes daily/ half cube frozen hikari blood worms twice weekly) and there are no behavioral or physical signs of illness besides this weird poop.

I have not seen any other excretions from the fish in the time that I have owned them, but several factors can be the cause of not witnessing that, I guess...

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and WelcomeXmas.gif Fish Lore!

You may want to try feeding your fish some New Life Spectrum (NLS) foods with Anti Parasitic ingredients:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/spectrum-thera-a-formula-1mm-10oz

NLS foods are highly recommended and I use some of it myself. It's a big hit with my fish.

Hopefully this is all that you will need but let's get more responses.

Best wishes for your fish and I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

3. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

If that does not do the trick, you may wish to try Tetra Parasite Guard or Prazipro. White poo is indicative of either digestive upset or parasites. In any case, NLS is a great food, so even if it doesn't kill the parasites it's a great diet to stick with (with occasional treats).

4. OP
    OP
    k8XP

Okay, I will go pick some up right now. Thanks a ton!

I do like your site. I joined another a few weeks ago, but there is barely ever any people on it, so I'm here for good I think : )

K just got back home with it. So should I be feeding them more often with this food or just small amounts twice daily as normal?
    And also should I still give them a few frozen blood worms every few days, or only this for a bit?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  5. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Normal feeding is fine :)

I think bloodworms will be good for them. :) Go ahead and keep doing that, especially if you soak them in garlic juice. :)

6. OP
    OP
    k8XP

Perfect, will do that as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice