White Dots On Catfish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shanice.Naomi, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Shanice.Naomi

Shanice.NaomiNew MemberMember

I've recently got a beautiful catfish my sons have called "Crazy - craycray" he suits his name because all he does is move up and down the sides of the tank and plays in the bubbles all day long he's actually great very happy with him but he has a white spot on his back well 2 white spots. I have googled some said it could be a scratch from rocks or something or a illness. I did have a guppy fish who had fin rot but got on the mend with his medicine but I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this or could guess what it could be. He hasn't changed how he acts he's still the same as when I brought him. In fact he's more livelier then ever it would be a shame if he has a illness :(

51bc13b9e487b691d7ccd751ddb00497.jpg

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

How long has this been there?

3. Jayd976

Jayd976Well Known MemberMember

its cotton like or does it look more like a flesh wound? Hard to tell from the photo.

4. OP
    OP
    Shanice.Naomi

Since yesterday and yeah it's more like a flesh wound. No fluff or fur looking stuff on it

5. KimberlyG

Look at your picture. Inside the decoration at the top of the hole, Do you see that anywhere else in your tank?

6. Jayd976

Jayd976Well Known MemberMember

may have cut himself rubbing on one of those rocks. Can treat the tank with Melafix to help heal the wound if thats indeed what it is.

7. OP
    OP
    Shanice.Naomi

I just looked and It's a mark on the outside of the tank. My youngest gets water/juice marks and hand prints on the glass I know what it looks like lol but no there isn't any sort of stuff like that in there

Ok thanks I'll give it a go :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  8. KimberlyG

Okay. It just looked cottony to me. I see spore-like structures. Just keep an eye on the tank. If it is a secondary infection from a scrape or cut, it could still be either fungal or bacterial. I would use Jungle Fungus Clear tabs. They have components for both.

9. OP
    OP
    Shanice.Naomi

Yeah I get what you mean, keep cleaning it but somehow the boys still manage to get marks on it. Ok thanks I'll try them :)

10. KimberlyG

If the children aren't interested in the tank, something is wrong. lol
    You should see the fronts of my tanks after the grand children are over!

11. OP
    OP
    Shanice.Naomi

Lol yes they absolutely love the fish tank it was for my oldest early birthday present and they have named all the fish and love helping with feeding the fish and cleaning the tank and lucky enough we now have two baby guppies and they will always sit and watch the fish for ages it's really nice best thing I've ever brought first time we've had fish it went from getting a goldfish to buying a 64l tank with 15 fish lol very happy with them

12. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

If it's just a flesh wound be sure to keep your water in pristine condition so that your fish doesn't get any type of infection and medication should not be required. I recently moved some fish into out of a grow out tank into their permanent tank and one in particular went and got himself all sorts of beat up... So it's on a maintenance schedule of two 30%-40% water changes a week and it's a 55 gallon fully cycled tank, until the ding dong fish heals up. Water conditions being perfect will speed up the healing process and prevent most types of infections from becoming an issue.

The white spots to me from the photo do appear cottony though. Watch them very closely to be sure it's not a fungal infection as that would require medication.

13. OP
    OP
    Shanice.Naomi

Thanks everyone for the advice. My catfish is better I think they was scratches as it's all cleared up and he's fine :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice