White dots all over fish?... what is it?..

Razloga
Hey guys, I just noticed that all of my fish have a bunch of little white dots all over them... on their fins, on their skin, everywhere...

what is that?

are they sick?

how can I make them go away?...

Dino
It is probably ich.
The best way to remove it is to slowly (a degree or 2 an hour) raise your water temperature to 82F.
The freeswimming part of it's lifestage cannot handle that warm of a temperature.
Keep your temp there for atleast a week.

Razloga
ok... that makes sense..

but my stupid heater is kinda funky, it is (the 30-60 gallon one, but I have a 10 gallon tank) and it can't seem to raise the temp. above 74-76 degrees, even when its dialed to the max...

nathol
White spots

that is WHITE SPOT. be vary careful with that disease, act quickly if you leave it to long you fish could start rotting away in front of your eyes. there is a bottle of medication you can get to remove white spot, it is called white spot abd it needs to be repeated every three days until the parasite is fully removed

Chief_waterchanger
Temperature being slowly raised will not hold the potential to harm your fish' kidneys as do medications. Also if your heater is funky like that I would get another one, and a brand such as 'ebu jager' or 'visotherm stealth'. You need a heater that will do what you need it to do, not one that barely does enough to get by.

Best of luck.

Razloga
wait, this just occurred to me (cause I am an idiot..) but my tank is right under a window... that probably affects the temp a lot more than if the tank were to be on the opposite side of the room, right?...

Chief_waterchanger
It could. But do you not have a thermometer in the tank? If not you can get a cheapo thermometer for the tank at most any store that sells aquarium supplies.

But to treat ich you need a constantly consistant temperature of 83 degrees farenheit.

swords3711
keep the tank extremely dark

COBettaCouple
why would you want the tank dark to treat ich?

sjlchgo
Well.....if it's dark you can't see the spots.....lol. Is the temperature change also good for fungus?

swords3711
Well.....if it's dark you can't see the spots.....lol. Is the temperature change also good for fungus?

well I no u can't see it but it keeps the fish from getting active and it keeps the ich from spreading by keeping it from reproducing

COBettaCouple
the fish activity won't affect the ich. water temperature being higher is the main factor, followed by cleaning the substrata.

swords3711
the fish activity won't affect the ich. water temperature being higher is the main factor, followed by cleaning the substrata.

no but its like when transferring fish u keep the light off to keep them from getting stressed
when the light is on and the fish are sick they like to rub against rocks and things which then tears up their bodies and scales

COBettaCouple
in the 2 cases of ich that we've had, I didn't notice any scratching or flashing in the fish affected.

♥ashley♥
it sounds like to me that your fish have ick. my mollys caught it once and I tried to add more salt to my brackish tank and it didn't do very much for them so I went to my pet store and I bought something called "ICK GUARD" it cost $4.99 and it did great and the ick was cleared up in 2 days.

now what you need to be careful about is when your fish have had ick for a long time. because the little white spots ( the parasite ) drop from the fish and make there home in your gravel where they breed and grow into more ick. and then it's even harder to get rid of. so the faster you get the ick tooken care of, the better.

good luck!

COBettaCouple
did you keep the water over 82-83 for 2 weeks? the ich meds can have a clearing effect but some ich can still survive and resurface later. by the time you see spots, the fish has had ich a while inside.

♥ashley♥
no but its like when transferring fish u keep the light off to keep them from getting stressed
when the light is on and the fish are sick they like to rub against rocks and things which then tears up their bodies and scales

I have knoticed is happening in some extream cases of ick. like when they have had it for a long time and it hasn't been taken care of. when my mollys had ick one of them scratched so much that he gave himself a infected eye. I think it's called puff eye or something like that. so you definitely need to be watching your fish when they have ick, because I think that's the last stage of ick. and then the crystals get dropped into the gravel. and then your fish die. it's sad but true. so it's very important to get it tooken care of and cured right away at the first sign of ick.

swords3711
in the 2 cases of ich that we've had, I didn't notice any scratching or flashing in the fish affected.

I had it in a tank of 16 goldfish
-3 survived in the end
- it only cured after the light had turned off for a while

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hanzla Khan
Replies
Views
flyinGourami
Replies
Views