White Dot On Betta Pectoral Fin Help

1. Lacey D

Lacey D Valued Member Member

Aquarium parameters: 5.5 long, with a sponge filter rated for 10 gallon. Inert gravel.
    Temp: 78F (fixed temp thermometer), ph: 7.0, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 0 (all tested last night).
    Due for the weekly 20% water change today. IAL and a ton of tannins in the water. Each water change gets Prime to declorinate, 1/4 dose (not the full recommended amount) of BettaFix, Flourish and lately one week of Stability because I am moving things and I wanted to make sure the bacterial balance wasn't harmed. Once a month I do a 50% water change and he gets more aquarium salt along with the above. Every other week I switch out the IAL. I have done nothing to this aquarium all week but feed, and talk to him.
    Tank mates: 2 nerite snails, Anubias, crypto, peace lilies (hydroponic :p)
    Food: Tetra Betta Floating Mini Pellets, 2 pellets 3x/day; Frozen brine shrimp 1x/week.

OK, I will post pictures when I get home, but checked in on our betta this morning to see that he had single raised white dot on one pectoral fin--looks fungal to me since it seems a little fuzzy, but from reading it could be velvet or ick? I had to go to work, so I couldn't treat him this morning, and he was acting just fine--dancing and begging for his food. I can stop off at the fish store on the way home and pick up just about anything, so should I treat for all three? I can get an adjustable thermometer, dose with the FULL BettaFix dosage, and do a 50% water change. (And I guess pick up a new vacuum hose for his tank so I'm not using the same one for both of my aquariums).

The trouble is that I'm seeing conflicting information about whether I should do a large water change at this point, some things on how BettaFix isn't the cure-all it claims, if I should jar my betta while treating him, etc. I'm also concerned for my snails--if it's ick the entire aquarium should be treated, and I can't find any information on the full dose/prolonged use of BettaFix and nerites, and I know they won't appreciate the temperature change or extra salt. Any advice?

2. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Fresh water is never going to hurt your betta unless the parameters of the new water are totally different than what he's used to.

During treatment you should reduce water changes so the medicine can work, but if you want to do a water change before dosing with meds, do it. Do a large water change though. 20% is not enough. Especially in a 5 gallon tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

The tap water parameters are pretty much identical to his current conditions--pH tends to run a little lower (6.8) so I buffer it, and it's very soft. OK, I'll do the 50% (or more? should I do 75%?) when I get home, then dose and hope :)

4. IHaveADogToo

With bettas, bigger water changes are better. I suggest changing your routine to 50-75% water changes weekly. For this water change as well, 50-75%.

I noticed you add bettafix with each water change? I would not do that. Medication should only be used on fish when it's needed, not as a preventative. Fish don't always respond well to medication, especially medication they don't need. I also would not be adding salt to his tank unless you are specifically treating something with salt.

All a betta needs is fresh clean dechlorinated water. The less chemicals and additives the better. All this stuff that you're regularly adding to the water (bettafix, salt, tannins, stability) is causing my alarm bells to ring, and you might actually be doing more harm than good. I mean, yes you do need to treat new water with a water conditioner, but that should be it. Don't add anything else as a general tonic or a "just in case".

I know this is going to sound weird, but fresh, clean water is the general tonic that works best on bettas.

5. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

Thanks!! The Stability was a new thing because I HAD a HOB filter on this aquarium as well as the sponge, and moved it to my 10 gallon setup. After reading some things (always my downfall), I thought I might have removed too many beneficial bacteria at the same time. I finished that treatment on Sunday and won't be repeating it unless I crash my cycle. And yes, using the BettaFix was based on my misunderstanding that it was a preventative because of some advice to add it along with new betta to help avoid illness. He's only been in this aquarium for around 6 weeks now, but I will knock that off :p

6. IHaveADogToo

The tannins are probably fine. Bettas do actually like that.

7. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

Here is a photo, where you can see the dot (ok, it's really tiny), on the close pectoral fin. It's not even visible at most angles :p I did a 75% water change (which since that was 5 gallons...means I have been seriously low-balling my water changes by thinking filling 1 or 3 gallon milk jugs was doing a 20 or 50%. Oops. I guess I have a 7 gallon? Off to the volume calculator!). So far fresh water and prime are ALL I have done... will keep an eye on things.

Also don't pay any attention to how sad he looks. He's begging for food :p I have a video I might try to post, showing how he's acting, which is just like normal.

Attached Files:

8. IHaveADogToo

I can’t tell from the photo. Does it look like a white grain of sand?

It might be ich. It might not. If more spots appear it is. But it could be something else. I would just keep an eye on that spot. If it is ich we will know soon because more white spots will appear. Or the spot could grow and swell and be something else entirely. Or it could just go away and be no cause for alarm. Let’s wait and see. If the fish isn’t in distress there’s no reason to rush to treatment. Especially if we don’t know what it is. But to be honest I’m thinking it will go away after a few larger volume routine water changes.

9. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

Yes. And sorry about the quality of the photo--his aquarium is all scratched up. I was in the process of moving him to a community aquarium, but... that's been delayed, obviously. I will keep doing water changes and hope for the best :)

10. IHaveADogToo

White grain of sand looking usually means ich, but just one spot is too soon to call it. I had a fish get one spot like that and I was convinved it was ich but I waited and 2 days later it went away on its own, no other spots ever appeared. Then again that’s only happened once, all the other times I’ve seen one white spot like that, it’s been soon followed by more.

11. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

UPDATE: 2 days of 75% water changes, and it's still there. Still watching...and wondering if betta get pimples.

12. IHaveADogToo

Have no other spots appeared? Bettas don't get pimples, but it could be a spot of fungus, or just a scab. If it's still just the one spot, it's likely not ich.