White Cyst Looking Specs On Fish

MajinBoo

Reaction score
My 55 gal broke out in an infection on my red eye tetras. I quarantined that group of species in a empty 10 gal. (My medical emergency tank) the 55 gal is doing good no other fish are showing symptoms. I am going to do a 20 or 30% water change when I wake up. It could be ich but who knows. I just dont want my prized koi bettas to get sick. Any tips on precautionary measures from longterm fish keepers?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning. Let’s see, tips. Have dedicated equipment for each tank. Wash your hands when done with one tank before you go to the next. Oh, get a liquid test kit like the API master kit and Seachem has a free ammonia (bad stuff) test kit. The strips aren’t very reliable. Frequent water changes.
That’s all that’s coming to mind right now. I’m sure others will add anything I may have forgotten.
Do the white spots look fuzzy at all?

MajinBoo

Reaction score
Gypsy13 said:
Good morning. Let’s see, tips. Have dedicated equipment for each tank. Wash your hands when done with one tank before you go to the next. Oh, get a liquid test kit like the API master kit and Seachem has a free ammonia (bad stuff) test kit. The strips aren’t very reliable. Frequent water changes.
That’s all that’s coming to mind right now. I’m sure others will add anything I may have forgotten.
Do the white spots look fuzzy at all?
I am starting to believe it was my black tetras that attacked these fish. I read online they do best in a group of 6 or more and can get stressed below that. I had 3. Anyways I returned them and got 2 baby girl betas. I do t think it is ick

MajinBoo

Reaction score
Gypsy13 said:
How do they look now?
Not good. The one redeye tetra still has that wound but I dont see any other new injuries on my other fish. My betta and I think a cherry barb if I am correct have ich like appearances/symptoms.. these are the pictures. I will also buy a master tasting kit since I've only been using strips.. I'll update that in 9 hours since I just got off of work. (Night shift). Tank is not cycled to my knowledge but it was givin the right dosage of safe start and I continue to add the recommended after each water change. I only did 1/2 the tanks gravel this past weekend. Here are some pictures. One betta is spotted, one pink betta has spots on the fins the webbed part, and my pink and purple betta has a mark on her kidney (if they have or had kidneys) that area. I also put the pic of the injured tetra.
20180524_065208.jpg
20180524_065119.jpg
20180524_065116.jpg
20180524_065055.jpg
20180524_065040.jpg
20180524_065013.jpg
20180524_070443.jpg
20180524_070559.jpg
20180524_070656.jpg

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is most definitely ick. I would get a ick med as soon as possible, and follow the directions of whichever product you get. I like Kordon Rapid-Cure, but most ick meds should do fine, just avoid the herbal stuff.

MajinBoo

Reaction score
scarface said:
That is most definitely ick. I would get a ick med as soon as possible, and follow the directions of whichever product you get. I like Kordon Rapid-Cure, but most ick meds should do fine, just avoid the herbal stuff.
Okay I am just worried bcuz I house shrimp and snails in that tank.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
do it in hospital tank. it is infact ick, so put all effected fish in 10 gallon (i would out all fish in ten gallon) or what might work better depending on fish amount, is putting snails and shrimp in 10 gllon and treat main tank. either way, bump the temp up to but no more then 86'f and do alot of water changing. also watch out for some meds, as they can kill your cycle in the larger tank (assuming it is cycled) best of luck. i have been where you are, folks here will help you every step of the way if u need

MajinBoo

Reaction score
Ms rose said:
do it in hospital tank. it is infact ick, so put all effected fish in 10 gallon (i would out all fish in ten gallon) or what might work better depending on fish amount, is putting snails and shrimp in 10 gllon and treat main tank. either way, bump the temp up to but no more then 86'f and do alot of water changing. also watch out for some meds, as they can kill your cycle in the larger tank (assuming it is cycled) best of luck. i have been where you are, folks here will help you every step of the way if u need
How do u bump up the tank that high?? My heater only goes to 78

MajinBoo

Reaction score
Here is my water quality. Ph seems high? I'll do another water change this weekend to finish the rest of the gravel cleaning. Also update on the tank. There seems to be spotted spots appearing. And this is what petco recommended me for the ick
20180524_194115.jpg
20180524_194846.jpg
20180524_195140.jpg
1527206074328.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom