White Crayfish Tankmates

LPx2

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm looking to add some friends for my white cray w/o them getting eaten. Any suggestions? I'm specifically looking for thoughts on BGKs b/c I know they're nocturnal and tend to hide a bit. Also, would pictus cats be alright due to their natural defensive spines?

currently he lives w/ 6 tiger barbs & a bn pleco

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you can add more barbs, but that's it. Maybe get 3 albinos, since you have 3 regs and 3 greens already.

Black ghost knife grows to 20" and is not a good choice for your tank.

LPx2

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Size issues aside though, would they be compatible species? I obviously understand that a BGK (and probably even pictus cats for that matter) would eventually outgrow my tank.

Redtail shark would be another one I'm considering...

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LPx2 said:
Size issues aside though, would they be compatible species? I obviously understand that a BGK (and probably even pictus cats for that matter) would eventually outgrow my tank.

Redtail shark would be another one I'm considering...
Anything that spends time on the bottom will be continuously hunted by the crayfish. This is very stressful for fish, as they are often attacked while they are sleeping.

The pictus could easily kill your crayfish if they got to it after molting.

RTS is not something I've kept, but if it sleeps near the bottom it'll be in trouble. And I think most suggest a 36" or 48" tank for them.

The reason your tiger barbs are safe is because they sleep high in the water, well out of the crays reach.

LPx2

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anyone have any experience using rubber bands to effectively "declaw" a crayfish?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, but it's a better idea than snipping the claws at the joint. Crays use their claws for more than just grabbing prey, and to limit the animal like that wouldn't be something I'd want to do.

That's like keeping the dog muzzled so it doesn't bite the cat.

LPx2

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
snipping the claws seems like a foul aesthetically as well...the claws are part of what makes them so attractive.

I banded the larger of his two claws today but left the smaller one open. We'll see how that effects him...As long as he can still eat I don't see how it could hurt him...and my other fish are giving it the thumbs up!

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
they will certainly limit the crays ability to catch the fishes but i dont think it is a good view seeing a crayfish with a useless claw. I let them live normal and follow the rules of nature. only my opinion sir. Goodluck.

mike

ivan.tsary

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ivan.tsary said:
Would skirt and bleeding heart tetras work with a crayfish?
No, tetras are easily caught.

welcome to the forum!

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
not to sound snippy, but why would you choose an animal that you have to alter to make work in your tank? seems like robbing peter to pay paul if you ask me. making one animal uncomfortable, just to keep another comfortable.

LPx2

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
alive. not comfortable.

a distinction worth making ;-)

I like my fish better when they're alive.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I kept a blue crab that I caught from the creek in front of my house for a little over 2 years. The tank mates were also creek fish, Bream, Red Breast. It was my experience that if a critter has claws, all of your fish are at risk for being eaten.

It's your tank and you can do as you wish of course but I would hate to see a Cray Fish or crab in an aquarium with banded claws. JMO

In your case, I would suggest a species only tank and not a community tank.

Keep us posted! We love photos too.

Ken

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One question: if you prefer your fish alive, why keep them with a natural predator at all? Prolonged stress is likely to indirectly kill fish.

If you still want to add more fish, then I'd go with what Jaysee said and get 3 albino tiger barbs. I'm sure the barbs wouldn't protest to having a few more friends to chase around If you went with anything other than tigerbarbs, you would have to consider the fact that the tigerbarbs would be likely to harrass it at some point (even with their adequate school numbers).

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thats my point, crayfish are awesome, so why would you want to turn one into a glorified shrimp.

LPx2

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so I have a 10 gallon tank that I'm looking to setup for my crayfish to eventually move into. Any advice on what he needs? (airflow, substrate, temp, etc.)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO a 10 gallon is not big enough for a crayfish. But, to answer your question, it'll need a filter and a cave for it to hide in after molting. You'll also need a tight fitting top - glass is the best because you can easily cut and replace the plastic backstrip to fit perfectly with your equipment. Crays are escape artists.

If you are going to keep it in a 10, at least fill it with climbable stuff so it can make use of the entire tank - the footprint of a 10 is not very big.

theemon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
any fast moving non-long finned non-aggressive community fish will be fine with ur crays.

i dont personally own alot of "community fish" but i sell alot of crayfish to people who do(and report back to me)

i keep my crays with shrimp(with the shrimp populations exploding) and guppies. my crays rarely if ever get guppies, now occasionaly a guppy looses a corner of its tail though.

theemon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh might i add, cpd's are not a good idea either, they seem to have no natural fear of crays and all my cpd's shared the crayfish's hideing spot with the crayfish for a week or two, untill i got to nervous and removed the cray.

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
snipping the claws seems like a foul aesthetically as well...the claws are part of what makes them so attractive.
Agree totally!!!!

In my opinion they should be housed alone. Mine are but that's just my opinion. They are very fast at catching fish when they want to. Any bottom dwelling fish will get picked on. You COULD try danios, they are fast.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads