White Cotton Looking Mold/algae? What Is This?

HigherPrimate

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the forum and getting back into the hobby.

I noticed a lot of this white stringy/fuzzy looking stuff starting to grow on my rocks and collecting on my substrate. It looks to me to be maybe overfeeding and its decaying food? Ive googled around and havent found anything to help identify it. Most people are saying its bacteria from the food breaking down, others are saying a white algae but I've never heard of a white algae.. I tried to gravel vac it out but it is fairly heavy and doesnt get sucked up very well..

This problem appeared to show up after I used some Fluval Quick Clear, is it possibly the debris getting clumped together? -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5PNHLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached are some images of the "fuzz"

PS- Im also dealing with Ich, The German Blue Ram in the photo is being treated now...

Attachments

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like Fungus, probably feasting on decaying food & waste as you theorized.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! You should definitely try to avoid overfeeding. Fish being cold blooded, do not burn calories generating body heat. So they do not need as much food as you would think. There are a lot of negatives to overfeeding, getting strange stuff growing in your tank, increasing the ammonia levels in the tank and fish constipation/bloating.

HigherPrimate

Reaction score
Yea I'm going to guess it is overfeeding. The stuff is tough to Vac out, going to try brushing it really good to break it up.

Thanks for the insights.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom