White cloudy Water

promisedsin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently had to replace my filter and 2 days after a white powdery substance started to form on the bottom in the corner opposite of the filter. The next day the entire water was cloudy white. I vacuumed up the stuff on the sand but the next day it was back even worse. Can anyone help me with what this is and how to fix it?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore promisedsin!

Have you checked your water parameters since you set up the new filter? Were you able to transfer any of the filter floss/media from your old filter? My guess is that your tank is going through a cycle to bring the new filter up to speed.

Good luck with your tank!

promisedsin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just checked the readings and they are all where they were before the new filter. I used the old filter and when i took it out is when the cloudiness appeared... One of my cories shot to the top of the water and back down again... I added an air stone but i have no idea if that will help any.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I assume your readings were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <20 nitrates? Oh, and what water conditioner are your using. The white substance may be something that has precipitated out of the water. Could you post a picture of the white substance you have on your substrate? It might help to figure out what it is.

Do you have plans to get a larger tank? Your Rainbow Shark really should be in a much larger tank. They are very territorial and can become aggressive if not kept in a 55 gallon or larger. Check out this link: https://www.fishlore.com/profiles_rainbow_shark.htm

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
https://www.fishlore.com/CloudyWater.htm

Good morning. See if the above link can help you.

Too, by chance do you have well water and not city water? If so, you might be seeing silt on the bottom. This is one reason I pre-filter my water for water changes.

If not silt then it may be white algae which is very common in new tanks. It will eventually go away on its own. You can remove it with your fingers but chances are it will return until it runs its course.

Ken

promisedsin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
694.jpg

kara94

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why there are so many air bubbles? If i am no wrong, the ammonia concentration in your tank is too high~ And, the cloudy water is caused by the ammonia~..Hope that my prediction is true~

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads