white cloudy water, small bubbles, and crusty white stuff OH MY

juwanil

Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon FW tank that just recently cycled PH is 7.6 Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are around 5 ppm. My tank has what looks like hundreds of tiny bubbles floating around in the water for no apparent reason, what could be causing this? The water also looks whitish when i look at the tank from the side, again i have no idea whats wrong here. Also it has a crusty white crystal buildup that keep appearing on the hood. My water heater exploded about a month ago and let ceramic pieces go into my water... Is there any way that that could be the cause of this?

FishFolk

Valued Member
Reaction score
How is this affecting your fish?
I have an aquainatnce who has a biowheel filtered tank that constantly has a crusty build-up. The first time I saw it, the tank was a mess (see another post). I couldn't see anything it was so overgrown and green. Based on the crust i thought it was sw. After talking to the guy, it seems his tank always has this crust, but the fish seem okay. Not sure what causes it but would be nice to know.

clinton1621

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The crusty white crystal looking stuff sounds like either calcium and lime deposits from hard water... or salt deposits, did you use aquarium salt in the water?

The cloudiness could be still from a bacterial bloom... or possibly your filter media is clogged with debris from new substrate and needs to be rinsed out (with dechlorinated water!) with new substrate you will need to rinse the filter media out frequently until the water clears or it will get clogged and cease to filter anything out of the water.

clinton1621

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No I would not recommend trying to mess with the water chemistry, this will only cause more serious problems like pH imbalance .... just keep the gunk cleaned up regularly, it wont hurt anything

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom