White cloudy stuff on surface

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Kimberly4403, Aug 1, 2015.

1. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

What is this white cloudy stuff on the surface of my water? I had it in the other tank too but its just recently started..

Ive tried getting rid of it with water changes ive tried netting it out.. How can i get rid of it and what is causing it? The only time i put my hand in water is during weekly water changes and im so careful to rinse my hands well before hand i dont use moisturisers etc only thing i can think of is the zucchini i put in for BN but thats always washed well too.. Not affecting fish just looks gross.. My parameters are 0, 0, 5-10

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

This is what it looks like

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I had that in my betta tank for awhile. It eventually went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like diatoms to me. It's a normal occurrence in new tanks.

4. OP
    OP
    K

Oh ok thats ok then ive just never had it before in any new tank.. How long till it goes away?

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Depends how long it takes for the silicates in your tank to be gone, then the diatoms will go away. I'm told using Seachem PhosGuard will get rid of them so I been trying it myself and I guess it's ok, but nothing special. Still having to wipe them down with a sponge every other day.

6. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I just let it be there for like two months and they only went away just a few weeks ago. They survived water changes, but I mean I never did any of more than like 15% until a few days ago I did like 75% because I needed to switch the gravel to sand (it was somewhere between 50-75 because I kept the betta in a cup full of tank water, the snails in a cup full of tank water, and a bucket with maybe a gallon of tank water for the plants and driftwood but didn't use the whole gallon when I re-filled) but honestly I didn't mind them. Or even care, really. I've had them before and just ignored it. I guess weird stuff in my tank water isn't a big concern to me any more (after all these years I have found that after a month with some water changes pretty much anything will come and go and fish will be fine)
    However, minimally off topic, my 10g has white fuzz film slime stuff all over my driftwood. I know it's common for driftwood to get, but it's like bubbled on it. Super gross. But am I scrubbing it off? No. Because it'll go away.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

If you have surface water scum, then you do not have enough surface agitation. Adding an air stone/tube will help. This is usually a build of skin oils, fish food oils.

If you are using canister filtration and you can aim the out flow tube toward the surface, this will also help.

In the link above scroll down to here:
    2. Insufficient water circulation and surface agitation

As for the white fuzz on the driftwood, yes this is natural and it will go away on its own in time. You can remove it by hand but chances are it will return until it has run its course. Some fish may feed from it.

Ken

8. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Agree with Aquarist, its a type of bio-film from not enough surface agitation. The only time I get it is in my betta tank and raising my small spray arm for more agitation gets rid of it. Once you increase agitation it should go away with a day or so.

9. OP
    OP
    K

Added in an airstone which is on an 8hr timer so comes on and goes off with my lights... And its cleared the surface right up looks great and gives my cheeky cherry barbs something else to entertain them lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice