White Clouds in Tropical?

FoulFishes

Would it bother White Cloud Mountain Minnows to be kept in a tropical tank if the temperature was kept in the 70s F? I know they prefer the 60s F so I wanted double check with people who may own them.

RogueAgent94

They can be kept in tropical temperatures but if you want to see them at their full potential you should keep them in cooler temperatures. I'm all for keeping them in cool water verses tropical.

Lisa MacAlpine

I have long-finned-zebra danios, which I believe are a hi-bred WCMM, in my 10 gallon tank at 76 degrees. They have always looked very happy.

RogueAgent94

LF Zebra Danios aren't hybrid WCMM. They are just Zebra Danios with long fins. But they are also temperate fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

freak78

I have kept them in 78 degree water. Though they do say that the warmer water temps will reduce their life span.

soltarianknight

I have kept them in cool water and tropical. They did seem a tad more active in the cooler temps but they did ok for the tropical temps too. I think it is one of those fish I wouldn't recommend anything above 76-78f max. That would mean stocking around your other tropical inhabitants. Some tropical's like it warmer then that, they wouldn't be very compatible with WCMM.

Ava

When I was researching them as possible roomies for my goldfish, I read somewhere that someone experimented with that already. They found that anything over 78 significantly reduced their lifespan. They weren't as active and their color was off too. If it were me, I wouldn't.

soltarianknight

When I was researching them as possible roomies for my goldfish, I read somewhere that someone experimented with that already. They found that anything over 78 significantly reduced their lifespan. They weren't as active and their color was off too. If it were me, I wouldn't.

I'm actually going to ask for a link in this case. It isn't that I don't take your word for it, but I would like to read this myself before I take it.

pirahnah3

I have kept WCMM before and def find that in the cooler temps they are happier. Your danios would be ok there as well. Would be a really fun active tank.

RogueAgent94

I'm actually going to ask for a link in this case. It isn't that I don't take your word for it, but I would like to read this myself before I take it.

That's actually fairly true about most temperate fish kept in tropical tanks. But hopefully Ava will remember where she read it exactly.

soltarianknight

I just wouldn't think significantly reduces life span, I mean, maybe a few months at best(or makes them weaker/more prone to illness). The ones I kept tropical were great for over 2 years. They were going strong, of course, they got wiped out with my danios when I got flukes so who knows.

Lisa MacAlpine

"LF Zebra Danios aren't hybrid WCMM. They are just Zebra Danios with long fins. But they are also temperate fish."

Oh okay. I will double check first next time. Thanks.
(Apologies for not acknowledging. I've got some setting wrong, and it didn't notify me.)

RogueAgent94

;D Not putting you down or anything. Just wanted to clarify. I make mistakes like that ALL the time hehe.

Lisa MacAlpine

;D Not putting you down or anything. Just wanted to clarify. I make mistakes like that ALL the time hehe.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom