White Cloud - Unsure of Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zenial, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ZenialValued MemberMember

Hi all,

This morning all my fish appeared fine. This afternoon I find one of my White Clouds is having trouble swimming, gasping for air, it's darker and thinner than usual and it was resting on a plastic plant. All my other fish seem fine! I know some people think white clouds are just good bait, but I find them cute and hardy :(

There have been some recent changes to the tank in the past two weeks
    • Addition of 2 angelfish moved in from another tank
    • Added a second filter
    • Added 3 fake plants
    • Increased heater size from 50W up to 150W
    The filter, plants and heater had been wiped down and soaked in clean, aquarium ready water overnight before being added.

Current water parameters:
    pH 6.2
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 0
    Temperature: 24oC
    I do two 20% changes a week, 1 including stress coat.

Yes, having an acidity problem too! Just crossing my fingers is will rain again soon. Then I can drain my rain water tank and refill. I have no idea what has made that acidic... A/N/N tests all 0 for it and that has it's own filtration too. *shrugs*

Any guesses why my fish is unhealthy? Acidity? The changes? Disease?

EDIT: Could be swim bladder I guess, but he's still balanced and doesn't appear bloated at all...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

0 nitrates? you using a liquid test? normally in an established tank you'll have some nitrate, its evidence of a properly working biological filter.

This is in a 45g? I don't know if adding 2 angelfish would cause a spike, but even if it did, you should probably be reading something on your water tests.

3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

do you have live plants, and are you using the stresszyme?

4. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

I agree that showing no nitrates seems to indicate that the tank may not be fully established. That being said, white clouds are usually fairly tough little guys, so it would be odd that they would be affected before anyone else. Sometimes a particular fish can be weaker than the rest, maybe he is one of them. I never had luck with white clouds in my tank, through some research and asking some people I know I concluded that perhaps my tank was too warm for them to so really well, they like cooler temperatures. 24-26*C is too warm for them to thrive, so I have been told and would have to agree based on my experience.

So could it be your temp? You may have to decide who you want to keep, as I am not certain all of your fish (particularly the angels) would want it any cooler. Oh, you could start another tank, lol!

5. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I think she was talking about the tank that catches the rain water having zero ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, not the aquarium.

6. ZenialValued MemberMember

I'm not using Stress Zyme.
    Yes, I do have a moderate amount of live plants.

@Jetjokey: Yes, it is an API liquid test.
    @GoGreen: Wikipedia says 22oC is ideal, should be fine at 24oC, I've had them a year.

I do have nitrates occasionally, but keep in mind: live plants and two water changes a week, not one.

I have a new symptom this morning: missing in action
    diagnosis: delicious

But I'd still like some guess of what made him ill.

7. crystalizedNew MemberMember

Sometimes changing heat source could stress the fishes till they get adujust to the new setting..try to sepearte your white cloud from others tiill it gets better..HOpe your fish gets better~!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice