White Cloud Mountain Minnows

gray18

Hello all! Who likes White Clouds? I think they are quite the enjoyable and colorful species. I do like both the gold and regular variety, but I would prefer to keep the gold just out of personal taste.

richiep

I've got 20 regular in with my cull shrimp & cory cats I didn't thing id like them but they amhace grown on me

gray18

Yes their colors are quite nice. I had 12 of the gold variety in my 33 long a little awhile back and sadly they kept dying. I know they are cooler water fish, I just thought they were a little more hardy. Temp was around 78. Didn't have problems with the guppies that they shared the tank with though.

richiep

I've just taken my tank temperature and its smack on 78 and mine are doing fine they've been in therr about 7 months

ArowanaQueen

I absolutely love WCMM, although never owned one. They might just be the hardiest fish ever born and when it comes to beauty, they compete with neons. Its a different story that its nearly impossible to find a LFS which has them here at my place.

gray18

there is an LFS near me that has a 40 long full of them, must be young ones though. they are all smaller in size.

weird.. I wonder all my golds died. I wonder if it's because they were from petco... sometimes petco's stock of fish is questionable.

kansas

I've considered them but in my un-airconditioned house, tanks get as high as 85 degrees in the summer, and I figured that wouldn't be good for them

ArowanaQueen

kansas said:
I've considered them but in my un-airconditioned house, tanks get as high as 85 degrees in the summer, and I figured that wouldn't be good for them
Actually, that is also the issue with me. My place experiences wild temperature fluctuations between summers and winters. Given the pathetic experiences I have had with heaters, i believe that there is no one fish that can survive both, my summer and winter temperature. Winters are perfect for WCMM.
Summers are perfect for Livebearers.
Dope.

Skrabbitskrabbit

I started keeping gold clouds in May after acquiring 2 that were being re-homed after their owner neglected the tank. They’ve now got friends and are thriving. They are not easy to find though, I recently had to order 6 from my LFS which was out and it’s still unsure if they can get them for me.
because of that, I got the last 2 that I discovered in a petco tank. Poor things had been there a while just the 2 in with a big school of ember tetras

ArowanaQueen

May I know the tank setup? (Just for reference)

Fishproblem

Honestly, I've kept gold and the wilder-type green ones and the green are just so gorgeous. Especially when the males are showing off, the bright red fins and shining lateral stripe are gorgeous in contrast against the green bodies. They've got more personality than most tetras, too.

I just got five from my neighbor that are going to go into a tank I don't see very often, and I'm a little bummed I won't get to watch them all the time!

Convoluted77

Very underrated fish imo.i got mine as an afterthought but i think they are a beautiful fish and the constant displays are impressive.

chromedome52

Personally prefer the Meteor Minnow form. They seem to have more color in those long fins than the regular finned fish.

Tanichthys albonubes 02.jpg

gray18

Fishproblem said:
Honestly, I've kept gold and the wilder-type green ones and the green are just so gorgeous. Especially when the males are showing off, the bright red fins and shining lateral stripe are gorgeous in contrast against the green bodies. They've got more personality than most tetras, too.

I just got five from my neighbor that are going to go into a tank I don't see very often, and I'm a little bummed I won't get to watch them all the time!
They are quite nice. The only downside I can honestly say if you want a tight schooling fish, this one isn't it. They don't really school much at all.

gray18

I would really love to have these guys as part of my tank, but I can't seem to find them anywhere recently due to the COVID19 pandemic. Especially the golds.

richiep

chromedome52 said:
Personally prefer the Meteor Minnow form. They seem to have more color in those long fins than the regular finned fish.

Tanichthys albonubes 02.jpg
They are nicer than the standard minnow,I've not seen them in the uk

barbiespoodle

richiep said:
I've got 20 regular in with my cull shrimp & cory cats I didn't thing id like them but they amhace grown on me
Didn't know we mirrored each other here Richie. When I set up my cull tank I decided to try something new and make it a fish/shrimp tank. I wanted neon's but couldn't find them. But did find wcmm's. And like you, I am charmed by them. I think they are pretty, far prettier than they looked at the lfs because now they aren't stress by other species in the small lfs tank, they are now just able to be themselves and it shows in how much mine have colored up. And like you, they are doing very well in shrimp temps. Also like you, there are cory cats.

So I am giving a thumbs up on wcmm's. A very pretty and adaptable fish. Just remember, they like to be kept in large schools, which makes them even more interesting because they do have that schooling instinct, always seem to be in-sync with each other. Plus in my area they are often considered feeder fish so are very cheap. I paid a whopping .99 cents each.

richiep

We pay just over double that
Its strange how we do the same things and don't realise it

barbiespoodle

richiep said:
We pay just over double that
Its strange how we do the same things and don't realise it
LOL Richie. I think it's because I have learned so much from you in my shrimp keeping ventures that sometimes I harness my inner richie without realizing it.

gray18

I have been lucky enough to find the gold variety of these guys for a buck a piece at one of my LFS... I think I am gonna try out a school of about 20 of them.

gray18

Hmm.. So have been noticing a strange behavior recently in my 4K White Clouds. Lately, whenever the light's off, they hang out at the top of the tank constantly. I know this is a sign of lack of oxygen sometimes but they don't appear to be gasping for air or anything.

They also only do it when the light is off! Whenever I turn the light on, they quickly start darting around and go back to normally like nothing is going on lol

This concerns me, but doesn't at the same time. I should probably check my water parameters. I haven't had any deaths or issues though with anything like that.

barbiespoodle

Hmm. I've never watched them with the lights off so don't know if this is normal. But if they act normal once the lights are on and you've had no deaths, I personally wouldn't worry.

Now for one of my silly old lady quirks when it comes to my fish, I wake them up slowly before I leave for work at 5am, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I do have some skittish fish and I know I sure hate being woke up suddenly. First I turn on the over head ceiling fan lights, wait a bit, turn on the table lamp next to most of the tanks, wait, then turn on the tank light, wait. By the time I go through the feeding routine, everyone is a wake, hungry and my silver dollars and giant danio's didn't bash their heads against the glass, lol.

yeti79

I have all 3 varieties. Great fish and love watching the males show off. Like richiep and barbiespoodle keep them with my shrimp culls too!

Convoluted77

Mine are the same way.I think it's quite normal.i have had mine for about a year now and the second the lights go out they float up to the very top and play dead in some plants until the lights come on again.i only have a small school but each fish has it's own sleep spot that they seem to return to every single night.Its kind of funny.

gray18

Hmm. Sometimes they do it when the lights on, most of the time not. What the heck is up with this? I have owned White Clouds before and never noticed them doing this lol

richiep

Since you've started this I've been watching mine and they don't seem to do it

FishOverseer909

I need help my last WCMM died and Im not sure why, he died with slightly tattered fins but everyone else in the tank is completely healthy

Latest threads

Top Bottom