White Cloud Mountain Minnows

loilars
I didn't see a sub category for this breed so my apologies if there is one. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with two goldfish, six white cloud mountain minnows and one mystery snail. I have had the minnows and snail for six weeks. I had another snail who unfortunately died last week, not 100% sure why but I assume it was because my goldfish are jerks and eat all of the food and badger the snails which I knew might happen. I've noticed the minnows have been congregating on the bottom of the tank a lot in the last few days. My research across the board said that they tended toward the top of the tank more often than not which was the case until the last few days. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this sudden behavior. The filter speed is set pretty low because if it's too high I can tell it effects all of the fish so that shouldn't be it. The filter is due to be cleaned but it isn't filthy by any means. I've done small water changes every other day for the last week to clear up some cloudiness issues but the levels are good. Please let me know if there are other variables that might help answer this.

jess3434
I used to have WCMM and I remember when I first brought them home, they were stressed and hung out at the bottom of the tank. It was a long car ride, so it made sense that they were stressed, is it possible that the goldfish are also bullying the minnows?

loilars
jess3434 said:
I used to have WCMM and I remember when I first brought them home, they were stressed and hung out at the bottom of the tank. It was a long car ride, so it made sense that they were stressed, is it possible that the goldfish are also bullying the minnows?
When I first put them in the tank the goldfish went right after them but it stopped after a couple minutes when they realized they can't catch them. But yes I've had that as a possible thought. I watch my tank quite frequently and I don't see any obvious evidence of them bullying them and they swim around with the goldfish. I can't help but wonder if there is some underlying tank condition that is causing them to stay away from the top where they usually hang out. I'm going to test levels, try a bigger water change, clean out the filter real good.

RDcompton03
ive had the same experience with mine. they are the only fish species in the tank and they too stay more mid to lower range. i do have about 2/3 of the top covered in floating plants. not sure what that may have to do with it but otherwise they seem great. Active, eat well, look good.

yeti79
Do you have a fancy goldfish or comet/common? If it's a comet/common they will eat your WCMM once big enough! My goldfish did most of the hunting after the lights were out so took a minute to figure out what was going on. The WCMM should be too fast for a fancy goldfish to bother however.

loilars
They are comet/common goldfish. They're already pretty big (the goldfish) and like I said they went after them right when I put them in the tank. I do often wonder what happens when the lights go out. That said, they've made it this far and the goldfish generally don't seem to bother them anymore. It seems they've realized they simply can't catch them. I got the WCMMs because they were on the short list of species who can coexist with goldfish. I want to get possibly some rosy barbs or bristlenose plecos but with the lock down I am not able to shop.

To update, the WCMMs are not staying near the bottom quite like they were before although they're not back to mainly staying at the top. Again, my tank is due for a complete 10% water change and filter cleaning so we'll see what happens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom