White Cloud Mountain minnows

izhughes
Member
hI everyone,
I recently bought some White Cloud Mountain minnows and I have owned goldfish in the past with no issues. However I recently encountered an issue after doing their second full tank clean (I kept about 40% of the original water and transferred the fish into a bowl whilst cleaning tank..). After the tank was cleaned I noticed one of the minnows constantly at the top of the tank getting air, which seems odd considering my filter creates oxygen and water movement. I know that this can be a sign of stress, but I'm confused as to why its still stressed as its been a whole day since the clean and the other fish are fine, and they were all fine after the last big tank clean I did. One of them I never see eating when the other two go up, however I don't think this is much of an issue as he probably is just snooping for food once I leave.
 
kallililly1973
Member
Just by removing them to clean your tank can stress them out too much. Is the tank cycled? I would never remove fish during a tank cleaning. They are better off staying in there while you do it.
 
  • Thread Starter
izhughes
Member
kallililly1973 said:
Just by removing them to clean your tank can stress them out too much. Is the tank cycled? I would never remove fish during a tank cleaning. They are better off staying in there while you do it.
hI there
I see, next time I will just leave them in whilst doing the water change however I wanted to clean the stones properly so thought it would be best to take the fish out for this. since they are so small I didn't use a net I simply caught them in a jug so as to not interfere with their protective coating. they didn't seem too stressed out while I was cleaning the tank however this little guy started showing signs of stress when I put him back. thanks so much for your advice, definitely will leave the fish in the tank next time

and yes, sorry the tank is cycled.
 
aussieant32
Member
would be a pretty safe bet it is because you removed them. Alot of stress for a small fish.

Also might be worth testing your tap water PH compared to the tank water. Gasping can be caused by a rapid PH swing. If your tank was sitting at 6.2 and you dumped a heap of 8.0 water in its possible that has shocked them a bit as well.
 
  • Thread Starter
izhughes
Member
yeah potentially, I don't have anything I could use to test the ph levels but I might buy some litmus paper or something tomorrow. do you think there's any chance the fish will come around or is there not much hope for them

aussieant32 said:
would be a pretty safe bet it is because you removed them. Alot of stress for a small fish.

Also might be worth testing your tap water PH compared to the tank water. Gasping can be caused by a rapid PH swing. If your tank was sitting at 6.2 and you dumped a heap of 8.0 water in its possible that has shocked them a bit as well.
also, just to confirm, he isn't really gasping he's more just moving around at the top. Ill try post a video
 
aussieant32
Member
fish adapt, PH isn't the worst thing to have changed. There is no real reason that he can't come good, depends on the fish.

That is of course if PH is the problem.
 
  • Thread Starter
izhughes
Member
aussieant32 said:
fish adapt, PH isn't the worst thing to have changed. There is no real reason that he can't come good, depends on the fish.

That is of course if PH is the problem.
okay yeah thank you. I've done big water changes/tank cleans like that before and they've been fine, so not too sure. most likely is stress, like you say.
 
Top Bottom