White cloud mountain minnows breeding temperature?

Skrabbitskrabbit

So mostly I’m wondering about stocking options but I have a few questions for you all.

Yesterday I adopted two (1 male, 1 female) gold white cloud mountain minnows. Right now they’re the only fish in my new 10 gallon planted aquarium. Just trying to get opinions on what to stock with them. I’d love more fish and snails if possible.

These two were given to me because they were actually being kept with a betta and were getting picked on and the owner had nowhere else to keep them. They seem to like their new space in my tank. The male likes to follow the female around and they’re quite quick and active.

The previous owner said they lived in an 80F degree tank (bc of the betta). I lowered the temp to 75 last night but I’m wondering if I should just get rid of the heater altogether? Room temp here is 72F so that’s more in the suggested range for the species.

Will they breed if they are at a certain temp? (I’d prefer not).

Do I need to get more of the same kind so they have a complete school? I’m looking for more of a community tank environment but also don’t want unhappy fish.

I feel like they’re ok just the 2 of them since it’s been that way for months (previous owner had them since fall but she was the second owner so I’m the third). Are there other compatible fish/inverts? What would YOU do? (Keeping in mind the tank is just a 10 gallon)

3985D5B8-4572-41D1-A9D2-665246FB3E5E.jpeg

redmare

Get more! they will be happier with a group of 6+, then maybe some cherry shrimp would make a nice tank

Skrabbitskrabbit

Get more! they will be happier with a group of 6+, then maybe some cherry shrimp would make a nice tank
Ok! What about a snail or two instead of shrimp? Ever since my mystery snail died iced been wanting another

redmare

Ok! What about a snail or two instead of shrimp? Ever since my mystery snail died iced been wanting another
I don't see why not! Just make sure you get one that's temperature compatible, I think most would be.

Skrabbitskrabbit

I got new gold WCMminnows bringing my total to 6! They’re so cute and fun to watch.
Here’s a pic

45022B21-07B2-4186-9735-8E5046547E71.jpeg

Would I be able to (sometime in the future) add a centerpiece fish to this setup and if so, any suggestions?

SM1199

I got new gold WCMminnows bringing my total to 6! They’re so cute and fun to watch.
Here’s a pic

45022B21-07B2-4186-9735-8E5046547E71.jpeg

Would I be able to (sometime in the future) add a centerpiece fish to this setup and if so, any suggestions?
As a reply to one of your original questions that I didn't see an answer to, yes, you could get rid of the heater altogether!
The only centerpiece-type fish I know of that is okay in cooler water is a paradise fish. The only thing is that they can sometimes bully their tankmates pretty bad, so you'd have to weigh the risk against the benefit.

flyinGourami

As a reply to one of your original questions that I didn't see an answer to, yes, you could get rid of the heater altogether!
The only centerpiece-type fish I know of that is okay in cooler water is a paradise fish. The only thing is that they can sometimes bully their tankmates pretty bad, so you'd have to weigh the risk against the benefit.
I believe op has a 10 gallon tank? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that too small for a paradise fish and 6 white clouds?

FinalFins

With that many plants I bet you can expect some fully grown fry to pop out in the future

SM1199

I believe op has a 10 gallon tank? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that too small for a paradise fish and 6 white clouds?
It's debatable. I'd be okay putting a paradise fish in a 10 since they are quite slow and inactive swimmers, although a 20 is ideal. Bioload-wise, one paradise and six WCMMs are fine. The only issue would be if the paradise decides to attack the WCMMs, which is why I said it's a risk.

Skrabbitskrabbit

Yeah it’s just a 10 gallon so I know there’s probably very few options besides a few inverts...

flyinGourami

Yeah it’s just a 10 gallon so I know there’s probably very few options besides a few inverts...
I've never kept paradise fish, so I suppose SM1199 's idea could work . I would add some shrimp personally, they're really fun to watch IMO.

Skrabbitskrabbit

With that many plants I bet you can expect some fully grown fry to pop out in the future
Good point. Lots and lots of hiding spots. I may have my hands full as it is

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pitorro
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
Replies
Views
Fritzcrackerz
Replies