White Cloud Mountain Minnow (tanichthys Albonubes)

wem21

Well Known
Ok, you sound like a beginner who knows nothing about fishkeeping! (Gimme a hand Aquaphobia )

Firstly the nitrogen cycle. Its where beneficial bacteria convert ammonia and nitrIte to nitrate, the harmless unless in massive amounts stuff. Read more about it my clicking the words highlighted in blue, as you cannot have happy fish without it. This process requires filter and an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kit which I hope you have.

Secondly, you have way too many fish in a 5 gallon tank. Would you be able to return ALL of them and not buy any fish until you have completed the nitrogen cycle? I highly doubt theyre having a good time in such cramped quarters. You may also need a heater if you choose to keep tropical fish. Feel free to discuss the stocking of your tank after the cycle with us.

If yuou have any questions, fire away!

EDIT: minor typos

OP
Daniel Rodrigues

Daniel Rodrigues

I have my tank for about 3 to 4 months and I had 10 fish in it ( 5 neon tetras and 5 rummy nose tetras ) but some fish started dying ( I also have a product to create more beneficical bacteria in the water ). Yesterday I went to my local fish store and bought new fish. I might buy a new tank in this week or so but I' afraid my fish will get stressed.
I have one separated tank that I'm using for breeding guppys.

Neutral-Waterinos

How do I breed my White Cloud Mountain minnow (Tanichthys albonubes)? Are they easy to breed?
I have one male and one female in a 5 gallon tank with 3 neon tetras, 1 cardinal tetra, 4 rummy nose tetras and one cory.
I want to breed them because they are a very nice looking fish.

Ah pal, so what you wanna do right now preferable tomorrow is to get a 15-20 gallon aquarium, I didn't know anything about the nitrogen cycle a few months ago when I had my fish so I water changed every 1-2 days 25% for the next two months, so I reccomend getting is a new 15 gallon-20 gallon tank filling it up with conditioned water and placing them in, run a filter and a heater, I'm not really sure if your white cloud minnows operate in the same tropical temperature as your other fish so you can leave those two in the 5 gallon unheated, meanwhile heat up your 10 gal to 24 degrees, run a filter, Aquire a substrate and start buying some plants to quicken the cycle, so your filter will collect some beneficial bacteria which break down the three elements you find in water, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, the plants will eat the nitrates as fuel, the ammonia will get broken down in nitrite which then gets broken down more, ammonia and nitrite are very bad for fish you want to keep those low by allow bacteria in your filter Media (sponge etc) to grow, (they will naturally after 4 weeks or so) I reccomend getting some QuickStart or any liquid bacteria that can aid in making this beneficial bacteria faster. Quit buying any fish for now till 4-6 weeks and instead save up on buying live plants instead. Change the water in your new aquarium daily or every two days 25%-50%.

Any questions please ask, I'm so glad you signed up to this forum so we can help you, Ik information overload but hopefully someone can break it down quicker for you. Goodluck mate!

wem21

Well Known
I have my tank for about 3 to 4 months and I had 10 fish in it ( 5 neon tetras and 5 rummy nose tetras ) but some fish started dying ( I also have a product to create more beneficical bacteria in the water ). Yesterday I went to my local fish store and bought new fish. I might buy a new tank in this week or so but I' afraid my fish will get stressed.
Well, theyre probably stressed now. Even if yuiu get a bigger tank, the fish still aren't compatible and you would still need to cycle the tank. Please returnt the fish and make sure yiur tank is cycling

OP
Daniel Rodrigues

Daniel Rodrigues

This is my tank

I bought a narrow java fern and some driftwood because I'm going to rescape the tank

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 164

KakeHugs

Well Known
Ayyyye your tank is cute and all but a betta would fit in there much better than those guys being cramped it!
Do you happen to have a test kit or a place to test the water? I know it will seem like everyone is coming at you all at once but don't ignore it! If you can't grasp basic care for a fish you probably won't be able to breed them. Besides guppies, because well, they're guppies.

OP
Daniel Rodrigues

Daniel Rodrigues

So I should really buy a new and bigger tank right? That needs to happen as fast as possible right?

KakeHugs

Well Known
So I should really buy a new and bigger tank right? That needs to happen as fast as possible right?
Yea. Basically.
Your 5 gallon is still good for a betta though

Neutral-Waterinos

Beneficial bacteria lives in your filter media mate, not your water, so they will eat up and build a colony of themselves in your sponge in the filter or whatever you have in there. The fish are dying cause they are stressed, the tank simply isn't big enough. I'm not to sure about moving them as when's I started I was pretty cautious and researched a lot prior, what I did was search up the fishes name and beside it typed in care, so for example 'neon tetras care fishlore' will give you a whole list of stats on their requirements tank size, PH, schooling size etc I reccomend you do that to all your fish and realise what sorta situation you are in. I reccomend doing what I do when getting fish, bring your phone or device with ya to the aquarium store, they will usually have the fish in the tanks labelled just type that in and find their specifications, do not take the aquariums in which they store the fish in as the legitimate size in which you keep them in, these are temporary at most.

I really wish you the best mate, stop worrying about breeding I highly doubt it will happen in such a tight stressed size anyways, learn on how to save these fish, ask Anyone here I don't mean to be a downer but your situation is urgent. On the plus side if you move your other fish to the bigger aquarium, you can leave the five gal for the white clouds.

Can you send us a picture of your aquarium right now? If that's possible that will be great.

Oh I apologised I just received your photos.

Wow that is quite a beautiful looking tank I must admit, research a bit on the nitrogen cycle and purchase a bigger tank, it would be a great tank to place in the minnows and some shrimp/snails along with it.

Goodluck keep asking questions!

OP
Daniel Rodrigues

Daniel Rodrigues

How many fish per galon should I keep? ( per liter if possible )

wem21

Well Known
How many fish per galon should I keep? ( per liter if possible )
There isn't a role of thumb. There are way too many variables like temperature, agrresion, size, activity levels.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SmilingJocker
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
AmberR
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Ellielouisemills

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

You can Buy/Sell/Trade with your fellow members! You just need 50 posts.
Buy, Sell, Trade, Free Forum

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom