White cloud mountain minnow not swimming actively

mikeyboy76
Member
Ok guys, tank has been fishlessly cycled. All readings are fine and have been checked by my local Aquaria. But I think I may have a problem......I have 2 Zebra Danios and 2 white clouds just to start with. The Danios are lively and swimming lovely round the tank, one white cloud is swimming happily but not fast but my other white cloud is swiming very slow and spending a lot of time in the mid level just keeping still. There are no physical signs that anything is wrong, am I overly worried as a new fishkeeper or am I right to think this is slightly unusual behaviour for white clouds??
Pls help as I don't want to lose any fish

Thanks, Mike.
 
tzqng8
Member
I wouldn't worry too much right now. Every fish has a personality and may be a tad different than their generic profile. Just keep an eye on them. That is all you really can do if you don't see any physical signs of trouble.

Perhaps someone more experienced will have a different opinion. Welcome and good luck!
 
  • Thread Starter
mikeyboy76
Member
Thanx for the advice, fingers crossed it's just a bit of a lazy one!! Hope so!!

Sorry to be a pain but what about feeding regime? I have been told by my local aquaria to feed just once a day, I have researched and there seems to be several different options, some are twice a day some are 3 times a day? Whats best?

Thanks, Mike.
 
tzqng8
Member
Opinions vary, as you have said. I do twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the late afternoon/evening. Don't overfeed though! That is the quickest thing that will get fish feeling and doing bad. Not good for your tank either.

How much is too much? Well, a fish has a stomach about the size of their eye. But, they will over eat (generally) if they can. So, only give them as much as they can eat in several minutes. 15-30. Whatever is left over, remove with a turkey baster.

Note: My advice is based off of limited experience. I have read a LOT and have 1 Male Betta, but there are those on here with much more experience than I, and if they say something different, listen to them.
 
Butterfly
Member
White clouds are kind of laid back most of the time, they really don't race around the tank like danios so I think it's probably OK.
Feeding is kind of up to you and how much tank maintenance you want to do. a fishes stomach is about the size of it's eye and they will eat whatever you put in the tank whether their hungry or not. I do feed small amounts once a day on the days I work(I leave for work at 4am) and twice a day on the days I don't work. but I do extra water changes if I feed them treats or extra times in the week. Remember what goes in must come out and then be vacuumed out so set a schedule that works for you and keeps your water parameters good.
Carol
 
Shawnie
Member
I was wondering what kind of test kit you have? from my past experiences, I would NEVER trust your pet store to tell you that the water is ok...its best to know this on your own and an apI liquid master test kit will give you all the things you need to know...I hope things are getting better
 
  • Thread Starter
mikeyboy76
Member
tzqng8 said:
Opinions vary, as you have said. I do twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the late afternoon/evening. Don't overfeed though! That is the quickest thing that will get fish feeling and doing bad. Not good for your tank either.

How much is too much? Well, a fish has a stomach about the size of their eye. But, they will over eat (generally) if they can. So, only give them as much as they can eat in several minutes. 15-30. Whatever is left over, remove with a turkey baster.

Note: My advice is based off of limited experience. I have read a LOT and have 1 Male Betta, but there are those on here with much more experience than I, and if they say something different, listen to them.
Yeah I understand that in keeping fish experience is needed but we all need advice at times and yours seems sound to me thanx. Iwas just wondering if tey needed another feeding and maybe that's why they are so lathargic?

Shawnie said:
I was wondering what kind of test kit you have? from my past experiences, I would NEVER trust your pet store to tell you that the water is ok...its best to know this on your own and an apI liquid master test kit will give you all the things you need to know...I hope things are getting better
That's exactly what I have(apI master test kit). It's not actually a pet store as such but more of a dedicated fish supplier etc! They also do the water test because they like to check your new tank BEFORE they allow you to buy any stock from them. They have been running for around 25yrs and they have a very good reputation so I kinda trust them. I have no friends who keep fish so I only have you guys and the people at the store so I otta get help and advice from both you and the shop!! Fingers crossed everything remains well
 
Shawnie
Member
awesome and your tests came out fine?? and I'm so glad you have a trustworthy place..most of us don't and as you, I rely on this place totally
 
tzqng8
Member
mikeyboy76 said:
Yeah I understand that in keeping fish experience is needed but we all need advice at times and yours seems sound to me thanx. Iwas just wondering if tey needed another feeding and maybe that's why they are so lathargic?
Possible, but unlikely. Try to feed them again and see. I have heard of some bottom dwellers suffering from lethargy after being underfed, but that is because some people expect them to get all they need to eat as scraps from every other fish, but a lot of times, that is just not the case. Most likely just getting used to their new home. Every time I move my Betta, it takes about 24 hours for him to act "normal." I really gotta stop moving the poor fella (and have)!
 
  • Thread Starter
mikeyboy76
Member
Yeah the readings were perfect. The tank has been set up for around 1 week(don't go worrying!!) but because it was used as a cold water tank before I got it I believe this aided the cycle as I only rinsed gravel, ornamnets and plants. I only bought a new filter, lights and then set it up. Water change this weekend so i'm hoping it's nothin bad. All the readings are fine so maybe i'm just worrying for no reason, just want this tank to work so much I'm worried about failing I suppose!! I'll stop bugging you all now!!

Mike.
 
Shawnie
Member
your not bugging by any means...just keep an eye out and stop thinking your doing wrong because your not!! its all by trial and error...before I joined here, I had oscars in a 30 gallon tank and never cycled any of my tanks...just popped all my fishies in ...and wondered why they died every other week...we all have been there...just remember that most of your good bacteria is in your filter...you are doing fine!! got any pic? I'm a pic queenie ;D
 
  • Thread Starter
mikeyboy76
Member
I have!! I put one on yesterday but I think it's one of the ones that's dissapeared. Two seconds and I'll put it back on again!!
 
Butterfly
Member
OH DROOL!! That is beautiful!
Carol
 
Shawnie
Member
OH YESSSSSS!! I forgot where as it dissapeard...when we get older, our memory seems to vanish and the wrinkles take its place LOL

LOVE LOVE LOVE the tank
 
  • Thread Starter
mikeyboy76
Member
Butterfly said:
OH DROOL!! That is beautiful!
Carol
Thanx Carol, appreciate it. As a foot note I put some more fish food in and it was gone in a matter of minutes, maybe hungry??

Shawnie said:
OH YESSSSSS!! I forgot where as it dissapeard...when we get older, our memory seems to vanish and the wrinkles take its place LOL

LOVE LOVE LOVE the tank
Thanks Shawnie!!

Just to confirm, water cahnge of about 20-25% this weekend(about a week after it all started), condition the water and then replace water. Best way to take excess food of the bottom? Turkey baster or gravel siphon thingy?? lol
 
Alessa
Member
never tried the turkey thing... the manual syphon seems to work wonders for me!
 
MrsM3197
Member
Butterfly said:
OH DROOL!! That is beautiful!
Carol
I'll just 2nd that.
 
Shawnie
Member
mikeyboy76 said:
Thanks Shawnie!!

Just to confirm, water cahnge of about 20-25% this weekend(about a week after it all started), condition the water and then replace water. Best way to take excess food of the bottom? Turkey baster or gravel siphon thingy?? lol
That works...or some pictus catfish are amazing if you aren't over stocked...they are the best cleaners and very entertaining to watch
 
Butterfly
Member
mikeyboy76 said:
As a foot note I put some more fish food in and it was gone in a matter of minutes, maybe hungry??
Could be but my fish are the biggest beggers there ever were. They want to eat every time I walk past the tanks LOL especially the angels.
Carol
 
Shawnie
Member
omg angels are worse than betta's IMO ..mine see my feet hit the floor and they are there with their kissy lips beggin badly! (I know you got that visual)
 
  • Thread Starter
mikeyboy76
Member
Thanx for all your great comments. It's a fantastic site and gives someone like me so much confidence knowing I can come onto the site, ask questions and not feel silly!! But best of all you get the rigth answers which will help me keep a really good tank. Thanx to everyone, your all brilliant!!
 
Butterfly
Member
mikeyboy76 said:
Thanx for all your great comments. It's a fantastic site and gives someone like me so much confidence knowing I can come onto the site, ask questions and not feel silly!! But best of all you get the rigth answers which will help me keep a really good tank. Thanx to everyone, your all brilliant!!
Oh your going to give us a swelled head and welcome as always.

Shawnie-
Mine do the same thing. The 55 gallon angel tank has bookcases on each end and if you go back and forth from one book case to the other they will follow and make kissy noises
Carol
 
  • Moderator
jdhef
Moderator
Member
mikeyboy76 said:
I have no friends who keep fish so I only have you guys and the people at the store
Well by joining here you now have about 3500 friends who keep fish!
 
Butterfly
Member
jdhef said:
Well by joining here you now have about 3500 friends who keep fish!
Exactly right and I bet you don't have friends who stay up all night just so they can talk fish with you either
carol
 
  • Thread Starter
mikeyboy76
Member
Butterfly said:
Exactly right and I bet you don't have friends who stay up all night just so they can talk fish with you either
carol
Your right I haven't!! How cool is this site?!!

Anyone have any opinions on API water conditioner, it came free with my Master kit but was out of stcok so should be here next week. Good one or is there better ones out there?

Mike.
 
  • Moderator
jdhef
Moderator
Member
I actually picked up API Strees Coat the other day. It came bundled with a free bottle of Stress Zyme. I added both to my tank Thursday night after adding a new Boseman's Rainbow. It seemed to work okay.

Generally, I think API makes pretty good products
 
  • Moderator
Lucy
Moderator
Member
HI Mike, I love your tank! How cool is that shape? You could pull a chair up and watch fish from both sides!

Are you asking about Stress Coat? That's what I use.
 
  • Thread Starter
mikeyboy76
Member
Not sure if it's stress coat or not but the item here in the uk is sold just as Water conditioner? If API are generally quite good then I'll stick with it as it should be good.

Thanx, Mike.
 
COBettaCouple
Member
I use Prime and Fish Protector for water conditioning, but the API product is good.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom