White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry Safe Age and Breeding Question

1. Nissile Member Member

Hi, my wcmm's are ready to breed. I only have one heated 40L tank as it is winter right now (I do have an outdoor pond), and I'd like to know how to best breed these fish in the one tank. My original plan was going to be to put in some spawning mops and then wait for them to breed, the once they have spawned, put/suspend the adults (I have 4) in a floating net, in the same tank, until the fry are at a safe age. So... At what age are the fry/juveniles safe to be with the adults? And at what age would the juveniles look like adults (not sexually but physically). How would you breed them for maximum offspring, in this situation (i.e with only one heated tank - it's too cold right now, outside, for them)? Any tips, ideas or help would be extremely appreciated :)

This is my first post btw :)

Cheers,
    Nissile

Sent from my ONE TOUCH 6012A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

Hi Nissile and Welcome to Fishlore!!! I have never bred WCMMs but I am sure some here in the forum may have experience with them.

How is your tank set up and what temperature are you keeping them at? Generally young fish are safe from the parents as soon as they will no longer fit in the parent fish's mouths. A well planted tank with plenty of hiding areas can help to allow more fry to survive sooner even if the parent fish are nearby.

3. Nissile Member Member

Thanks shayla :) I have decent planting (oxygen weed) and I am currently keeping them at 18C (right now it gets to 1C at times).

About 1/4 to 1/2 of the tank is covered/taken up by plants.