white cloud minnows

rabbia

I have 2 of my 6 white cloud minnows that are pregnant they have been huge for a while now and are now in a fry trap but is this the best way and are they live bearers or egg layers I have been all over the internet and have had a very mixed opinion. Ive even found that someone has said that they could just be over fed but with the fancy arranda, sorry about spelling, in the same tank they have no chance of being over fed

LyndaB

My understanding is that your white clouds lay eggs.

P.S. If you're talking about goldfish, it's spelled oranda.

Place either a mature pair or a few males and 4-6 females that are young together in a five gallon tank with plants, java moss, or "spawning mops." The latter mix in a quarantine tank yielded an unexpected brood of hundreds from fish from parents that I thought too young to breed. The water should be between pH 6.5 and 7.5, slightly soft, and near 68-75 degrees F.

The male(s) will flash their fins and do a dance to attract females. You can see a photo of a male displaying at this site (you will have to search the site). As the male sticks out his fins and puts on his best colors, other white clouds will come to investigate. Other males will display alongside him (head to tail) to compare themselves and occasionally take a passing nip at each other. If a female comes up and sees what she likes, he will lead her into some soft vegetation. Then, they will spawn against plants. I witnessed my two year old pair spawning deep in java moss on 9/23/97. Usually, there are only a few dozen eggs but sometimes hundreds. Remove the parents (optional). The eggs hatch in about two days. After a few days more once fry are free-swimming (up to a week from egg laying), feed small microorganisms like infusuria (paramecium, etc.), liquifry, and soon after, baby brine shrimp.

White clouds, unlike most other fish, do not eat their eggs and fry with relish. They will eat some but in tanks with just white clouds, some fry should reach adulthood. Thus, you do not have to remove the parents. Fry have extraordinary blue eyes and a blue stripe on their side, resembling neon tetras. They used to be called the poor man's neon tetra but now they usually cost more! Once the fry can take brine shrimp, they are very easy to care for.

Last edited:

rabbia

I think that text is one that I found. The white clouds are in the same 100litre tank as a butterfly pleco that is about an inch and a half long and 2 white fancy oranda will these other fish affect the survival chances of the young?

LyndaB

It depends on the parents. I have kribs in with kuhlI loaches, rummy nose tetras and amano shrimp and the biggest threat to the free swimming fry is their own father. The first two spawns, he ate all the fry. On this third spawn, the mother kept him away after they became free swimming. So far, so good. She hasn't lost a one and the fry are about 7 weeks old now.

Any time you have fry in a community tank, or even with their parents, the threat is there.

Treefork

The oranda will probably eat your fry if they have any. White clouds are egg scatterers like danios. They may also eat their own eggs.

rabbia

So ive done the wrong thing by putting the two in the fry trap then cos it will stop them from having anywhere to lay the eggs. Should I take them out and let them get on with it then?

LyndaB

Yes, you absolutely should. They're probably getting increasingly stressed being in that net.

rabbia

The trap ive got is a clear plastic one where the fry can get to safety by dropping though the bottom into their own area. Ive taken the 2 minnows out the trap now and I saw some brilliant showing off from one of the males I never realised just how big the fins were on them.

jetajockey

The females have to be in contact with the males. They are not "pregnant", they may be full of eggs, but when they drop the eggs, the males have to be right there to fertilize them.

Those breeding traps are for livebearers.

rabbia

Ah ok well they are out the trap now and ive seen the males putting on a show aswell so will wait for signs of eggs being laid

jetajockey

I've never bred them but if they are egg scatterers along the lines of the danios that I have bred, you can trigger them to spawn by putting a bed of java moss in an open part of the tank.

rabbia

Ok ill have to find somewhere that sells it it would be great if I can get some fry.

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom