White cloud minnows not breeding?

J_Aquatics

Hey! I have a 10 gallon lightly planted tank with 9 White Cloud Mountain minnows . There is no heater and an aqua clear 30 on it. They’re the only species and have been in the tank for about 2 months now. What do I need to do to get them to breed? They show spawning behavior but never follow through, help.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyinGourami

Are you sure they aren't breeding? Its likely that they just ate the eggs.

yeti79

I would try putting in a big clump of java moss, or add a bed of marbles where you see the spawning behavior

barbiespoodle

I'm having the same problem even though I have subwassertang and other plants, it's a fairly heavily planted tank. Right now I'm trying something new but it's still too new to know if it's going to work, I put a breeding mop in the tank.

I went to youtube to get info on it and you won't believe how easy and cheap they are to make. I paid around $4 and got enough materials to make more than I'll ever need, which is good because I messed up the first one.

I'm hoping it will work. I can see my females are full of eggs.

coralbandit

Move the adults to a new tank every week and watch what shows up in the tanks they spawned in .
The fry are incredibly small[smaller the rams for sure] and are and will probably always be easily eaten if left with other fish . They require foods like infusoria which can be found in live plants and 'green water' ..

barbiespoodle

coralbandit said:
Move the adults to a new tank every week and watch what shows up in the tanks they spawned in .
The fry are incredibly small[smaller the rams for sure] and are and will probably always be easily eaten if left with other fish . They require foods like infusoria which can be found in live plants and 'green water' ..
My husband has been on me to do just that, he's into the tanks and thinks breeding the wcmm's would be fun.

Thing is, I do all the work on the tanks. Right now my life is very difficult. I am taking care of a sick husband on top of a very stressful job. My tanks are my escape from all that. I worked hard in creating tanks that are minimal care but beautiful at the same time, well planted and filtered. My 4 tanks can skip a week of maintenance like I just had to do because I worked 2 weeks straight, including several 12 hour shifts, without a day off, and still only take an hour total for all 4 tanks when I did the maintenance. Even then the maintenance was more therapy than work, I do love fussing over my tanks.

I had to tell him I just don't have the energy to start another tank just so the wcmm's can have babies. So instead I am trying to make the conditions in their tank more favorable to breeding and hope I get some babies survive, which is where my suggestions came from.

If I was younger (old lady here and in poor health), believe me, I would have jumped on your suggestion because from my research, it is a valid one, actually the best to insure fry survival.

coralbandit

Marbles and moss will help more then most think.
Offering the fry cover between the marbles[along with protecting the eggs] will greatly help you with success .
I understand every one does have room , time or even want to get carried away like I hear some do...
Another possible fun experiment would to be use a dip and pour specimen container or a marina hob breeder and place the likely parents in the breeder in the evening and then check on them after sunrise or when lights go on . My understanding is they lay/scatter their eggs at first light or close . Marbles maybe in the breeder box and remove the parents in the am after the suspected spawning ,
I have done this with Congo tetras by accident and it was amazing how many of the eggs hatched !
I use a lot of dip and pours for hatching eggs and raising fry..

barbiespoodle

I do have a nice crop of subwassertang as well as the breeding mops I'm trying. I'm trying to decide if I want to order more java moss or just harvest from my shrimp tanks, I do have a nice crop of it going.

Not really into the marble idea but I do have a larger grade of gravel over the soil I'm using to make it a planted tank. The gravel isn't much smaller than what marbles would be.

It's a fairly heavily planted tank with many different textures of plants. I think I'll have problems no matter what I do for the simple reason, the tank started as a cull tank from the two shrimp tanks. I have very pretty culls, but I also wonder how many wcmm eggs they eat in their foraging, but them again, how many shrimpettes do the wcmm's eat?, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another, lol.

But thanks for the great idea's. Back in my younger days, like 30 years ago, when I had wall to wall tanks, I would have been all over this if I even knew about wcmm's. Back then I wasted my time on breeding silly fish like discus, lol. Now old lady me breeds the easy ones like neocaradina shrimp and guppies, .

My wcmm tank

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom