White cloud minnows males, mating with each other?

joshuaby6

I brought home 5 juveniles mountain minnows in an attempt to breed them in a 10 gallon tank. There seemed to be two males and three females but after a couple of days it looked like the males were just displaying without spawning, with the females just swimming away. I assumed The tank was too big so, so I added one male and two females into a breeder basket with a lot of cover. almost instantly the male started displaying for the females and soon after I noticed that one of the females was also spreading it’s fins. At first I thought I took the other male by mistake but then I noticed that the male that was just displaying was attempting to Spawn, curling around the other fish’s body, but I couldn’t see if their any eggs dropped.
So my question is can a male white clouds mountain minnows mistake another male for a female and Spawn with him?

TClare

Well Known
I dont know much about these fish, but if they were definitely 2 males displaying to each other it may have been aggression rather than spawing?

ChrissFishes01

Well Known
My males display for eachother all the time. I wouldn't call it aggression, but they're definitely competitive breeders.

MyFishAddiction

Well Known
Yup. Sometimes fish will be kinda dumb and mistake gender of other fish.

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
Males of many species display at each other often.
It seems like they are finding out who is better at the dance but that is just my human interpretation.
I have a breed wcmm but don’t think I really saw the females get involved in the dance. When they are ready they swim over, past or through vegetation dropping eggs and a male follows. An acrylic spawning mob is just as good as moss or other plants to the female. The actual fertilising of the eggs is over in a half second and he goes back to dancing.

joshuaby6 wrote
”with the females just swimming away”
That was the moment she dropped the eggs and he was meant to followed . One of the males probably did.

Don’t expect to see the eggs they are tiny as are the fry. They are very very small .

Raising the fry is easier without the adults in the tank. Using the breeding box should work to hatch the eggs if you remove the adults.
Green water is an option to let the fry eat continuously for a fortnight without you having to try and feed dry dust.

To answer your question.
The males have not made a mistake. That is all part of the long dance. You might even say they are showing off to the girls who are standing at a distance pretending not to notice?

With good eyesight you can just see a day old fry (bottom left )in this soup of green water.
8640B230-9089-432C-9478-80F406D2932F.png

OP
J

joshuaby6

Does any body know of a sure way to tell male from female, I know that females are suppose to be a little bulkier and the males are more slender. But it doesn’t seem to apply all of them because one of the males is pretty big and I would probably mistaken him for a female if he wasn’t displaying. I’m also wondering if it’s possible to see the eggs because I can see little tiny dots on of the fish that I’m assuming is a female.

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
Have you ever seen the ich parasite joshuaby6?

The eggs are not held on the outside with this species.

I don’t think it’s important to tell males and females and sure don’t think I can tell. They know that’s what is important.

OP
J

joshuaby6

Have you ever seen the ich parasite joshuaby6?

The eggs are not held on the outside with this species.

I don’t think it’s important to tell males and females and sure don’t think I can tell. They know that’s what is important.
I’m pretty sure it isn’t ich sense they are not white and don’t appeared to be on the outside of the fish’s body, I’m guessing it’s a just a color pattern. Any way, you’re probably right, I will just leave alone with a plenty of cover and good water quality.

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
That’s good news.

Pulling spawning mops is a fun thing to do that’s been successful in the past.

I have a bucket of mops at the moment from rice fish that I am looking at impatiently every few hours.

OP
J

joshuaby6

When in y
That’s good news.

Pulling spawning mops is a fun thing to do that’s been successful in the past.

I have a bucket of mops at the moment from rice fish that I am looking at impatiently every few hours.
when, in your opinion do you think I should pull out the fish from the breeder basket?

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
There is no correct answer . However as the breeding box is small you will want to get them back into more space. You have seen them dance as soon as you put them in the tank together.

Two or three days is long enough for multiple spawnings as long as the adults are showing no aggression to each other in the small space.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
wem21
Replies
Views
luffy
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Most of the different sections (sub-forums) have a list of sticky threads at the top of the first page which you should DEFINITELY check out. They are some of the best and/or most informative threads here!

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom