White cloud Minnows behavior

trahana
I’ve had my WCM for three years now and I’ve noticed that my males have been dieing off slowly, while the females are okay. I know the males spar and flare like a betta, but is it possible this schooling fish needs to be kept 1 male per tank?
It seems like the brightest male is picking on the other males until they become weak and die of infection. It took the first school two years to have just a single male and now have more as I purchased 8 more minnows.
Has anyone else noticed this?

yeti79
What size tank do you keep them in? I've never noticed that myself.

Fishtine
I did lose a male after the last time he spawned. I don't think he was dead but he was weak and slow enough to get eaten by a newt! I wonder if it's very hard on them competing? From looking up advice to get my female to spawn with her second-choice male, it seems the males displaying in groups are typically part of the process so I think multiples aren't usually a problem, but maybe your dominant male is just a jerk!

trahana
My dom might be a jerk. He has the most brilliant red fins on all the fish. His fins are blood red while the others are more tomato red.
It’s currently a group of 16 minnows and other nano fish in a heavily planted 40g. They do spawn, but the other fish eat the eggs I think. Maybe they spawn and compete to much and the weaker ones get ill.
The tank as of today. They spawn over/in the pearlweed and hairgrass.

ea40548ca6fccdec920963c5a630b3db.jpg

trahana
I
e185acbb46225ca0c05b9c56787c982a.jpg

A good picture of my boss male, and oh look, the fish next to him has been fin nipped. Watching the tank right now and one of the new males seems to be a tail nipper bully, and he’s nipping at the girls too.

Sprinkle
It is possible that the minnows spawn and get ill, possibly die because as they spawn, they lose energy causing them to get weak and ill. This never occured to me as mine don't even want to spawn.

Latest threads

Top Bottom