White Cloud From Fish Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nikkikittu711, Apr 19, 2018.

1. N

Nikkikittu711 Valued Member Member

I have a Roseline shark in my tank and all of a sudden while it was swimming a cloud of white came from it. Can fish throw up? The only way I can explain it is when you put medicine in your tank it looks cloudy for a second before it mixes with the water

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

maybe it was eating and spit something out?

3. OP
    OP
    N

It was an awful lot of clouD but I thought that too at first... do fish mate through the water that way could that be it

4. CanadianFishFan

Not sure on that. Is this a planted tank, and does it have sand?

5. OP
    OP
    N

There is both plants and sand

6. CanadianFishFan

And what color is this sand? I think i may know what he did

7. OP
    OP
    N

The sand is black

8. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, that is normally how males fertilize the eggs. The female lays them and then the male swims over them and fertilizes them.

9. CanadianFishFan

Hmm, My guess is he was searching in the sand for food. Fish scoop up some sand sometimes and kinda sift for the food then spit out the sand and eat the food. Or it was some decaying plant matter he found. Im sure it fine.

10. OP
    OP
    N

Would the fish do it without a female in the tank

11. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know why they would but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. That is what the cloud you saw coming from him sounds like to me though. If you've ever watched TV programs about salmon spawning you would have seen how cloudy the water gets above the freshly laid eggs. Maybe he was practicing :D

12. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Most freshwater fish do not release sperm in a white cloud. And I don't believe a roseline shark is going to do that without a mate to spawn with. Finally, if there were a mate, the sperm would be released by the male at the same time the female releases eggs. Substrate spawning fish make separate passes, but egg scatterers release together.

Also, your post sounded like it was coming from the front end of the fish. If that's the case, then it's definitely not releasing sperm; that would come out of the vent.

13. CanadianFishFan

yeah, i dont know about their breeding but should have taken that into note..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice