White Cloud From Fish

Nikkikittu711

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Roseline shark in my tank and all of a sudden while it was swimming a cloud of white came from it. Can fish throw up? The only way I can explain it is when you put medicine in your tank it looks cloudy for a second before it mixes with the water

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
maybe it was eating and spit something out?

Nikkikittu711

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
maybe it was eating and spit something out?
It was an awful lot of clouD but I thought that too at first... do fish mate through the water that way could that be it

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nikkikittu711 said:
It was an awful lot of clouD but I thought that too at first... do fish mate through the water that way could that be it
Not sure on that. Is this a planted tank, and does it have sand?

Nikkikittu711

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
Not sure on that. Is this a planted tank, and does it have sand?
There is both plants and sand

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nikkikittu711 said:
There is both plants and sand
And what color is this sand? I think i may know what he did

Nikkikittu711

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
And what color is this sand? I think i may know what he did
The sand is black

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nikkikittu711 said:
Yes, that is normally how males fertilize the eggs. The female lays them and then the male swims over them and fertilizes them.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nikkikittu711 said:
The sand is black
Hmm, My guess is he was searching in the sand for food. Fish scoop up some sand sometimes and kinda sift for the food then spit out the sand and eat the food. Or it was some decaying plant matter he found. Im sure it fine.

Nikkikittu711

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
Yes, that is normally how males fertilize the eggs. The female lays them and then the male swims over them and fertilizes them.
Would the fish do it without a female in the tank

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nikkikittu711 said:
Would the fish do it without a female in the tank
I don't know why they would but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. That is what the cloud you saw coming from him sounds like to me though. If you've ever watched TV programs about salmon spawning you would have seen how cloudy the water gets above the freshly laid eggs. Maybe he was practicing

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most freshwater fish do not release sperm in a white cloud. And I don't believe a roseline shark is going to do that without a mate to spawn with. Finally, if there were a mate, the sperm would be released by the male at the same time the female releases eggs. Substrate spawning fish make separate passes, but egg scatterers release together.

Also, your post sounded like it was coming from the front end of the fish. If that's the case, then it's definitely not releasing sperm; that would come out of the vent.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
chromedome52 said:
Most freshwater fish do not release sperm in a white cloud. And I don't believe a roseline shark is going to do that without a mate to spawn with. Finally, if there were a mate, the sperm would be released by the male at the same time the female releases eggs. Substrate spawning fish make separate passes, but egg scatterers release together.

Also, your post sounded like it was coming from the front end of the fish. If that's the case, then it's definitely not releasing sperm; that would come out of the vent.
yeah, i dont know about their breeding but should have taken that into note..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom