White Cloud Care

Discussion in 'White Cloud Mountain Minnow' started by matt123, Aug 6, 2017.

1. m

matt123 Valued Member Member

Hey guys,

Recently took a a 10g tank from my cousin who no longer wanted the hassle of caring for them. The tank has a white cloud minnow in it (which he thought was a goldfish!). Wondering if he should be with friends of his species and some general care for them. Since my cousin thought he was a goldfish i assume care is quite similiar to goldfish. But as a minnow I imagine he might need some friends?

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

He needs friends and a bigger tank. A 20 long and a school of at least 6 members. They like cool water, 72F is their highest.

3. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I have 15 in a 20 long.

As Matt says, the one difficulty with keeping this otherwise excellent and reliable fish is keeping the temperature down in summer, otherwise they don't last long.

I am keeping mine indoors without heating or lighting during the summer holidays, having brought them home from my local school.

Temperature is currently 71F. Of course in the winter it is completely happy in the cooler temperatures so there are no disasters with non-functioning heaters or kids switching the heater off.

I keep the gold variety which is a stunning fish.

They are also sociable, easy to feed and problem-free.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

One year they lived outside in my water butt during the summer school holidays, but as they consumed all my daphnia culture I didn't want to do that again if it wasn't necessary.

In the school aquarium it has been getting quite warm during warm days in June and July with the lights on. Up to 78F on occasions but normally 75F. I'm pleased they have made it through this period and can now enjoy more suitable conditions.

A friend who is a teacher lost her White Clouds when she abandoned the fish during the school holidays and they were eaten by her goldfish so I don't think it is ethical to keep them together.

As they are originally stream fish I provide a current and good oxygenation. I understand from my research that they originally came from the White Cloud Mountains in China but were wiped out in their native habitat due to the pollution which followed the development of tourism in the area. There are related fish in similar places including Vietnam.

5. Merryn O'Shea

Merryn O'Shea Valued Member Member

White Cloud Minnows are shoaling fish! Meaning that he should be with others. I have them and I have 6 (which I think is the least amount you should have in a shoal). All of the comments above mentioned are what I would have said so I would suggest keeping the 10G and get some more friends (around 5) and then upgrade when you can, getting more minnows in addition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice