White 'circles' on new spiderwood

Elisa29

Hi everyone,

I'm about to setup a 60 liter freshwater tank. I have soaked a piece of spiderwood for 3 weeks and now it shows a few irregular white circles when it's dry. Does anybody know what this is? A kind of fungus or other 'infection'? Or is it safe to use for my future fish?

Thanks for your help!
20220521_003809.jpg

A201

Almost all new driftwood introduced into an aquarium will be covered with a temporary fungus.
The fungus feeds on the last bit of nutrients. Once the food supply disapates, the fungus disappears.
It's not harmful.

Blacksheep1

That doesn’t look like any wood fungus I’ve seen before. It does look like somethings rasped/ bitten it or it’s been hit / had something dropped on it. Do the marks only show when it’s dry? Are they there when wet ?

Elisa29

Almost all new driftwood introduced into an aquarium will be covered with a temporary fungus.
The fungus feeds on the last bit of nutrients. Once the food supply disapates, the fungus disappears.
It's not harmful.
Yes, that's more of a layer of white slime but this looks different. But could still maybe be a different type of fungus..?
That doesn’t look like any wood fungus I’ve seen before. It does look like somethings rasped/ bitten it or it’s been hit / had something dropped on it. Do the marks only show when it’s dry? Are they there when wet ?
It reminds me of a picture I've once seen of ringworm (also circular spots), that's why I thought of some kind of fungus.

I don't know if they show when the wood is wet, I will check in minute.

This is a picture of another spot:
20220521_003817.jpg
Yes, they still show when the wood is wet...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
Lindat
Replies
Views
thefishnoob
Replies