White bumps

Vleka

My goldfish have started to get white bumps on them. They never have resembled salt. I can’t treat them if I’m not sure what they’ve got. Any ideas?

Fishproblem

Hi Vleka, and welcome to fishlore! My best guess is that those are tumors - if so, they must have an environmental cause for all the fish to have them.

What are the parameters of your water, and what do you feed the fish?

Vleka

It’s a very small pond, 100 gallons. I’ve been treating my koi for a bacterial infection and I just started using pond salt. I’ve had these fish about 5 years. I don’t usually buy the same food. Right now I’m feeding them Micro-lift variety mix.

Vleka said:
It’s a very small pond, 100 gallons. I’ve been treating my koi for a bacterial infection and I just started using pond salt. I’ve had these fish about 5 years. I don’t usually buy the same food. Right now I’m feeding them Micro-lift variety mix.

Vleka

Nitrates and nitrites 0
Ammonia .50
PH 8.0
KH 7
Temp 7.6

Fishproblem

I'm genuinely not sure what's wrong, though your parameters do seem off. I would expect to see a nitrate reading with ammonia present. If you don't have the stability and safety of a cycle, that could be certainly be causing some problems (like the initial bacterial infection). Do you have a pond filter or any biological filtration?

Vleka

I have 2 small filters and one bio filter. Are they tumors harmful? What do I do about them? Will they go away?
Looking at the pictures, are you sure it’s not ick?

Fishproblem

Vleka said:
I have 2 small filters and one bio filter. Are they tumors harmful? What do I do about them? Will they go away?
Looking at the pictures, are you sure it’s not ick?
How long have you had the pond for? The entire 5 years you've had the fish?
I'm not sure what maintenance is supposed to look like in a pond, but it this were going on in a 100 gallon tank, I'd have done a large water change to bring down the ammonia, and would continue to do so until I could be certain I'd built up enough beneficial bacteria in the filtration system to keep things stable.

I have no idea what the tumors are, but it's definitely not Ick. These look to be growths in or under the skin. Ick would look like white specks, or if advanced, fluffy white splotches on top of the skin/scales.

The more I think about the info you've already shared, the more questions I have. I should have asked you to do this in the first place, but would you copy this form into your response here? Fish Emergency Template

Vleka

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?100 gallons
How long has the tank been running?6 yrs
Does it have a filter?yes
Does it have a heater?yes in the winter
What is the water temperature?77-80 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)1 koi, 4 goldfish and 2 picas

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?every 10 days
How much of the water do you change?one half
What do you use to treat your water? Aqua xtreme. KH Booster if needed. Sabbatisun for the bacterial infection.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?all of it

*Parameters - Very Important100 gallons
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?not adding
What do you use to test the water?API Freshwater test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0.50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.0. KH 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?1-2 daily
How much do you feed your fish? Small amount that’s gone in 3 minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Microbe lift variety
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?5-6 yrs
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 months
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?i noticed that a fish had a bump on it. Then I noticed more fish with bumps and then the fish started having multiple bumps.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I recently started using pond salt.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Not at all
Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)I’ve been treated the koi for a bacterial infection with pond salt and

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

a actually read all of that just so you didn't do that for nothing

Fisheye

Excellent photos. Do look up Carp Pox.

Were they all sourced at the same time from the same vendor?

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

Fishproblem

Fisheye said:
Excellent photos. Do look up Carp Pox.

Were they all sourced at the same time from the same vendor?
I just looked this up and I have to say, you really do learn something new every day!

Fisheye

I know I do! At my local fish club we had a koi pond lecture. I think that's where I heard of it but had to look it up because it was a year or so ago and my brain.

hoseki

This is actually Carp pox which is a kind of herpesvirus but it is not dangerous to fish. The cause may be due to low water temperature, poor water condition or other stress condition. The immune system of the fish may not be fully developed in some small fish would also have this issue. There is no direct treatment on Carp pox but likely would disappear or becoming not so serious when their immune system becomes mature.
In your case, when the water temperature rises and becoming more stable, it would recover on its only but you will likely see it coming back in the next few years but becoming less serious down the road. Just dpo not attempt to scrap or remove those "wax".

Latest threads

Top Bottom