55 Gallon Tank White bumps on angelfish head

Sedna

I have two tanks at the moment. A 55 gal and a 20 gal. I previously had my white angelfish (moe) and female koi (lodi) in the 20 gal to see if they would pair up uninterrupted. (I have two other angels that are a pair already.) After two weeks of observation I felt comfortable moving them to the 55 gal, so I moved the other pair to the 20 gal to see if they might spawn together. I moved moe and lodi to my 55 gal community. They've been there for almost a week now (moe previously was in this tank until we decided to try pairing them). This morning I turned on their lights and noticed moe has white bumps from his nostrils to behind his eyes (pictures below) no one else looks to have them, and I don't know what this is... is he sick? Is this normal for angelfish? My water parameters are pictured below too. I just did a water change Sunday of 16 gallons. Their tank mates in the 55 gal are a 3 spot gourami, a pearl gourami, two striped Raphael catfish juveniles. I have two plants, and two bubblers, a uv sterilizer, the tank is kept in the mid to high 70s.
I found another post on here from Google images funnily enough. Wouldn't have found it otherwise. Seems it's lymphcitis and there isn't a treatment for it. I'll be moving moe to my qt tank and hoping for the best..

Attachments

• 20210729_104834.jpg
    20210729_104834.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210729_102921.jpg
    20210729_102921.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210729_102916.jpg
    20210729_102916.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210729_102914.jpg
    20210729_102914.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210729_102915.jpg
    20210729_102915.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210729_102913.jpg
    20210729_102913.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210729_102908.jpg
    20210729_102908.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 24

Pachonfx

Could be ich or hole in the head. If those white spots start eroding pretty confident is hole in the head which is very common in angelfish. If thats the case, treat with metroplex

Upvote 0

Sedna

it kinda looks like ich(to help raise the temp to around 80) but it would help if you would fill out the emergency template
They haven't moved from his head, but I did add on an update that I found what he has, unfortunately it's untreatable and I have to wait and see. His appetite did return last night after not eating for 2 days. He also showed interest in his mated female.
Could be ich or hole in the head. If those white spots start eroding pretty confident is hole in the head which is very common in angelfish. If thats the case, treat with metroplex
They haven't changed really. He has his appetite back and has become slightly more social though. If you check the last sentence on the post I updated what he has.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

sometimes you need the cause to find the consiquence please fill out the emergency template. it will put us in the wright direction

Upvote 0

A201

Looks like it might be Hexamita to me. Infected sensory pores ooze a thick white substance accounting for the pictured white bumps.
You can try upping the WC volume & vary the diet, or try a dewormer med.

Upvote 0

Sedna

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
55 gal
How long has the tank been running?
7-8 months
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
Was previously 76 is now between 80 and 82
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
Male angelfish, female angelfish, female 3 spot gourami, male pearl gourami, 2 juvi striped Raphael catfish.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Weekly to bi weekly. based on water quality readings.
How much of the water do you change?
16 gal to 25 gal depending on reading.
What do you use to treat your water?
I buy r.o. water, which has low ph, but have sand that keeps the ph corrected.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Tank came with fish
What do you use to test the water?
Test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Please See photo attached to original post

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once daily (every few weeks we skip a feeding to prevent health issues)
How much do you feed your fish?

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Frozen blood worms and daphnea.
Do you feed frozen?
Yes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
7-8 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Thursday July 29th
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
White bumps along the brow
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Stress coat
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Not that I know of, bought him from a previous owner
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
For a few days he refused to eat or be social. Yesterday he was interested in his mated female, but this morning he has been flipping onto his back.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Male adult angelfish presented white raised bumps along his brow. Has had the same bumps for almost a week. Been using stress coat every so often to help him feel calmer. He refused to eat for a few days and regained his appetite and interest in his mated female. However he became more stressed with needing to move a tank mate for safety reasons and has more bumps along his gill area and close to his eyes. He is also flipping upside down and shaking his head. From my understanding he has something that isn't treatable, based on what I could find through fishlore on older posts. Which is why I was using stress coat. He hovers in the same corner next to the heater daily.

Upvote 0

BabyBird08

I would try to use paragurad and ask a local fish person about this. It sounds like white-spot though.
I think you can prolong their lifespan and maybe make it go away for awhile but I don’t think you can completely stop it but it’s worth a try

Upvote 0

coralbandit

Not lymphocystis IMO.
Those are sensory pits .
They appear to show the beginning of HLLE .
I would look to improve the fishes diet [maybe even try vitamins ] ..
Really ..
What are you feeding ?

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

i agree with coralbandit it dose look to be the beggining of HLLE. this coule help in the longerun and prevent more imageries but maybe separating male and female unless there spawning the male will still bully her. for sure increase vitamins. I LOVE the flake food that is sold by Angels plus they are open abought the ingredients and even have medicated food and enriched foods. i suggest flakes cause they tend to have added vitamins in them but you could also put supplements in there food.

Upvote 0

Sedna

Not lymphocystis IMO.
Those are sensory pits .
They appear to show the beginning of HLLE .
I would look to improve the fishes diet [maybe even try vitamins ] ..
Really ..
What are you feeding ?
Frozen blood worms at the moment. They haven't taken an interest in the beef heart yet so I haven't tried that a 2nd time. I'm waiting. Usually they have blood worms and a form of shrimp (mysis, brine) I ran out of the shrimp not too long ago and need to get more when I restock their food.
i agree with coralbandit it dose look to be the beggining of HLLE. this coule help in the longerun and prevent more imageries but maybe separating male and female unless there spawning the male will still bully her. for sure increase vitamins. I LOVE the flake food that is sold by Angels plus they are open abought the ingredients and even have medicated food and enriched foods. i suggest flakes cause they tend to have added vitamins in them but you could also put supplements in there food.
The white fish pictured is the male. And he's never aggressive towards his mate, she's fairly smaller and a koi in coloration. They get on very nicely and swim together often. My other pair that aren't spawning fight often however. Not 100% sure why..

Upvote 0

Sedna

Just wanted to update this thread..

Yesterday morning we woke up to moe being in a really bad state, when I spoke to the person at the LFS they confirmed it wasn't ick or hlle that he originally had. However that isn't what ultimately took him... he got a sore somehow. Very rapidly,, happened overnight before I could even treat him for that.. I am treating the tank to avoid anyone else getting the 2ndary infection.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bcsay720
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sedna
Replies
Views
Lilycarv