White Bump On Betta Fish Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by henry roberts, Apr 24, 2018.

1. henry robertsNew MemberMember

Looking for assistance diagnosing a white bump on my betta fish.

Attached Files:

2. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a tumor possibly cancerous, but it may be a columnaris lesion. How is she acting? Is she eating? Acting lethargic? Has it grown over time or just appeared? Tank parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite)? Temperature?

3. KaitlynnValued MemberMember

Does the bump look fuzzy at all

4. henry robertsNew MemberMember

She moves and eats a lot. It is not fuzzy (mold spores) but it does look slightly like firm mold that you would find growing on old food.

It grew over a 1-2 week span. Temp is probably around ~72F. tank parameters (ammonia .5, nitrate 0,40, ph 6.8, alkaline 20-40, chlorine 0, hardness 75.

i believe it is columnaris as kaitlynn mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  5. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Yes looks like columnaris, sorry :( this will be hard to treat but kanamycin and furan 2 are a good place to start

6. henry robertsNew MemberMember

thank you, should i use them both?

7. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Yes, in a hospital tank but if you can I’d get a premixed ratio so you can’t overdose like the spectrogram product. I also recommend methylene blue and salt baths. You may need to swab the wounds with mebromin or hydrogen peroxide.

8. henry robertsNew MemberMember

I ordered the furan one day shipping. can you share a link for the spectogram product?

9. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Link for spectrogram

10. henry robertsNew MemberMember

if the fish is in a tank alone do i need a hospital tank?

11. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Depends do you have plants? Although it might crash the cycle so be prepared for that.

12. tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

I want to say it is HOTH, it does not look like columnaris to me.

Treatment for that is Metrodanizole (MetroPlex). It goes well with Kanplex, but I am not sure about mixing it with Furan - I would google before I use that.
    PS: if you chose to treat with furan 2 but can't find api furan 2, a common brand (at least in my area) is Hikari BiFuran, which is the same thing.

Re: hospital tank - even though they package says it won't ruin your cycle, it's not true at all, and Furan is very icky and yellow. I would just get a plastic shoe box from dollar tree.

13. henry robertsNew MemberMember

no plants, only plastic.

14. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Do you have back up media if the cycle crashes?

15. henry robertsNew MemberMember

i set up some back up water. here's the situation: i have furan 2, triple sulfa, and aquarium salt. I'll probably use the triple silfar and the furan-2 together at the same time following their directions.

16. henry robertsNew MemberMember

1 dose now, 1 dose in 24 hours. wait another 24 hours, 25% water change, repeat 1 dose for a total of 4 doses. is media an extra filter?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice