White Bacterial Film, Canister Hoses

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by mossman, Aug 13, 2019.

1. mossman

mossmanWell Known MemberMember

I've noticed a foul odor in my home the past two days and realize this evening that it's coming from my 20 gallon tank. I did a larger water change (50%) and the odor went away. There was some stirred up debris floating around, so I turned up my canister filter as I usually do after cleaning and chunks of while film started shooting out of the return nozzle. It was literally like a snow globe. I quickly grabbed a net and captured as much as I could. Afterwards, I gave one of the canister hoses a pinch, and the same thing happened. Evidently some sort of while film has built up on the inside of the canister hoses (which I replaced last week). Is it normal for this to happen to new hoses? Should I have flushed them out with bleach before installing them?

2. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

This is normal for the white film and it will not harm your tank. As far as the foul odor, over feeding and/or poor maintenance is usually the culprit.

3. OP
    OP
    mossman

I keep on top of the maintenance and don't overfeed. This is the first time any of my tanks have had this smell.

4. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

Has to be some kind of bacteria smelling like that. I've had my 55gal tank smell like that once but I've never had problems with my 20gal. I think the white stuff building up in your canister hoses is just bio-film.

5. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Do you see anything that looks like blue green algae (cyanobacteria) in the tank? It's the worst-smelling thing I've encountered with aquariums. Smells like a swamp. :yuck:

6. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Although I cant comment on the smell, the hoses on canisters do need to be serviced on occasion.

After shutting them down then turning it back on, the surge of water will dislodge buildup in the hoses. Totally normal.

The same thing was occurring on our Hydor 600 canister.

Two months ago, I had to take the hoses and the intake/discharge pipes off and give them a thorough cleaning.

Afterwards, I gave it all a soak in a very mild bleach solution, then rinsed again and let air dry out side.

Finally I gave it another soak in my dechlorinator, Seachem Safe.

Everything was back to new again when done.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    mossman

Come to think of it, yes, I do. I had to scrape a bunch of blue/green spot algae off the walls of the tank last night during the WC. Is this the smelly stuff? I also added a new, brighter LED light and a bunch of plants recently, so maybe they are emitting an odor as they melt? BTW, ammonia is 0ppm.

8. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

If it was green spot algae that probably wasn't the cause of the odor. But if it was blue green algae...

There's nothing in your description that really implies it's BGA. I was just thinking about what makes a tank smell and BGA is the worst thing I've encountered for tank odor. I brought home a used tank that was covered in it and the car reeked for days afterward.

How to Easily Identify And Remove Green Spot Algae

How to identify and kill blue-green algae (In just days!)

9. OP
    OP
    mossman

After viewing those articles, I definitely have green spot algae, not blue-green. Could it be the new plants decaying? I added them last Friday and the smell just started occurring earlier this week.

10. OP
    OP
    mossman

Both snails are alive and all fish accounted for. Guess it's the new plants melting.