White algae?? Help

1. parkersfish Member Member

Since starting my planted tank, I've developed these white spots on the glass?? Any ideas? This is now the 3rd forum I've posted this question hope someone can he'll! uploadfromtaptalk1404739150461.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1404739162935.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1404739172065.jpg

2. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I've had the same thing. It cleans off with an algae cleaner pad. It's sort of gelatinous looking and doesn't seem to do anything. My bristlenose cleans it off the plants.

3. parkersfish Member Member

Mine cleans off too, but always comes back! Someone in another forum suggested it was it caused from my DIY co2. Do you have that in your tank also?

4. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Nope, don't have CO2 (except liquid). My *stuff* doesn't come back very quickly. It might now though as I've had to raise the temp. because of Ich :-[ I'm guessing it might be some sort of fungus similar to what shows up on driftwood - again, just a guess. If I discover any solutions I'll let you know.

5. parkersfish Member Member

OK thanks! If you don't have co2 then I don't have a clue.. What kind of lights and substrate are in your tank? I've reduced my photo period and it comes back slower than before

6. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I have a bottom layer of fine gravel, middle layer of something like Fluorite (threw the bags out & don't remember!), top layer of bigger gravel. Fair number of plants; Penguin 350 filter, AquaClear 50 filter; currently 2 airstones. The temp. has been raised as of last night because of Ich. I'd like this to just disappear too!